New to this looking for advice/information

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by sonnydmiller, Jan 27, 2016.

1. sonnydmiller

sonnydmiller Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2014
    London, KY
    Hey guys I have a year tractor trailer exsperence a cdlA but I drive a 13 ram 1500. Would I be able to make good money if I trade my truck in on a 2500 and get into this industry. Also. Witch would be netter cars RVs or?? Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated and any information on names and info companies I can work through, also the big question as I will have a heafty truck payment durning the first few years I'm leaning towards a new ram 2500. Should I consider a f250? Is it legal to sleep in the truck or will I have to have a sleaper or a hotel room? Info on tax right offs? Again thank you guys for any information i can get and I looked through a couple older forms but hard to keep up going back and fourth trying to get everything gathered up on one forum.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL
    Believe, imho, that your questions are too broad in scope.

4. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Don't even fool around with a 3/4 ton truck. Get a new 3500 Ram Dually if you're going to get into this. It'll cost the same as a 3/4 ton and be a much better truck for hauling with. Get the Cummins with a Aisin automatic trans with 4.10 , or 3.73 rear end gear ratio.

There are sleeper options for these trucks, here's a couple www.woodhousesleeper.com , www.cowtownsleepers.com .

And everything involved in this business is a write off, equipment payments, fuel, maintenance, licensing, cost for authority, motels bills, etc. Hire a tax person that knows trucking.

As far as which would be better, RV's, or? Get yourself a versatile lite weight trailer with a minimum of 40' of deck space and haul a mix of LTL freight and vehicles.

RV's would be great if they actually had back hauls but the fact is they don't. Just imagine pulling a RV trailer from Indiana to a west coast dealer for maybe $1.40 a mile and then being told to deadhead back to Indiana for a reload at zero pay. It just isn't worth it. With your own trailer you can find loads just about everywhere you go. Not always easy to put a load together but it sure pays a lot better.

Hope this helps.

tompetty69 and sonnydmiller Thank this.
  5. flatbedcarrier

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    americanmadetrucker Thanks this.
  6. sonnydmiller

Jul 18, 2014
    London, KY
    Yes thank you for all the information. How would I get started putting loads together would I find a company to work under or just call manufacturers and try to get them? I know a lot of people do very well in the industry would I be able to maintain a good 4-6 day work week every week you think? I'm in south east ky so not too many manufacturers that I know of around here

7. flatbedcarrier

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Sonny, you can get on load boards, work with brokers, connect with shippers direct, and even assist local carriers with their overflow. The thing is, you dont want to lock yourself into only being able to work for one company. Like leasing onto somebody.

You may not see a lot of large manufacturering plants in your area but I'd bet there's gonna be some smaller mom and pop type home based businesses. Construction companies, fab shops, car dealerships, etc. Pay them a visit, talk to them about helping with their transportation needs.

sonnydmiller Thanks this.
  8. americanmadetrucker

americanmadetrucker Logistical Engineer

Jul 3, 2012
  9. sonnydmiller

Jul 18, 2014
    London, KY
    Awesome info again. I'm going to start going to places tomorrow and get any business built up I can

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.