new to trucking

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by truckepreneur, Jul 7, 2015.

1. truckepreneur

truckepreneur Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2015
    howdy folks!

new to the forum here because i have a very high interest in the trucking business.

in short, I am a business owner and I do not want to drive myself because I'm busy going to school and I have my other business. I saved up some cash and would like to invest into a trucking company of my own. I HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE in the industry so please be patient with my beginner questions. Im looking to buy one truck and lease to a driver and perhaps buy more in the future to employ other drivers.

I and

First, what are the monthly expenses of this business?
    Second, what are the price ranges for good, used, reliable trucks that are dependable and last for some time
    Last, would I be able to make money starting off with one driver and one truck if I were to dispatch up to 1500 miles out? (based in Sacramento)

Thanks guys for all the help you offer

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dr_Fandango44

Dr_Fandango44 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Wow, you really like to put your head in the lions mouth.
    There are too many variables with the questions you are asking. Two things stand out first. Should I buy new or used?
    And how to I find a good productive and dependable driver.
    You are going to get a plethora of answers on both these topics on top of all the other stuff. Expenses are dependent on number of miles you do per month and of course will vary as to what type of truck you buy....new/used.
    If it were me and the massive problems I had starting out as an O/O, knowing what I know now, I would buy NEW all day long. Buying used is a massive gamble. It's nothing like buying a used car. One large repair could put you out of business in a heartbeat. Trying to find a good driver is all down to a bit of luck and doing your due diligence. You will probably go through a lot of drivers before you find one that fits your needs. I would also get a good accountant who knows the trucking business inside out. There is nothing cheap about running a trucking company. It's going to take time, and patience to figure it all out. You also have to figure out how you will get consistent loads and good revenue. Hauling freight with good rates can be a big challenge in itself. Im in the chemical/hazmat/tanker business and rates are good in this arena. I'm leased onto a co so I have little knowledge of load brokers and dealing direct with shippers. You may want to start out being leased onto a co. Something to consider is approaching a co and converting one of their co drivers to an O/O in order to drive your truck. Let the co do the driver search and screening. You can move onto your own authority later. Good luck with your endeavors. It's a very cash intensive business.

truckepreneur Thanks this.
  4. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    I sense the link of DY thread being posted here shortly ))

CanadianVaquero Thanks this.
  5. truckepreneur

Jul 7, 2015
    I appreciate it. I don't know who to talk to because I have no source to explain how this business works.

can anyone elaborate further on the recurring monthly costs and how the revenue is made on a monthly basis. It would be great if you can use real examples in terms of real numbers in costs and revenue.

I have many questions so please be patient because this is something I'm really interested in.

thank you all in advance

6. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    It won't do any good. Will still get five of these posts a week. maybe I'm just a cranky ol man, but I'm starting to develop a new philosophy, if people don't care enough to do a simple search, I won't care enough to offer them any basic respect.

All these type of people make me think if that scene in the book turned movie the green mile, where percy says "nobody told me I was supposed to put water on the sponge" and the warden yells something about how many years did he wipe his butt before someone told him what the paper is for

CanadianVaquero Thanks this.
  7. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Your source is Google and the search feature. Educate yourself some, then come back and ask your questions. Right now you don't even know what to ask.

8. truckepreneur

Jul 7, 2015
    lol I don't understand why you'd reply in the first place if you can't offer a response to my questions.

as for the "search feature" i used it and it directed me here.

Those are my questions and I need answers to them from a business perspective.

I know what the expenses are:
    tolls
    driver pay
    insurance
    maintenance
    fuel
    there might be others im missing but I need numbers in dollars next to those costs so that I can have a rough estimate on how much expenses add up to.

also, I know the revenue is paid on the amount of miles, but that's all I know.

with one truck and one driver, can someone give me a guess on the monthly costs and revenue.

9. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    I don't charge on mileage.

Buy a truck and trailer, hire a driver, figure the rest out as you go.

Trial by fire burns out the impurities.

lol how much are tolls. Well that depends on where you go and if they toll you doesn't it?
    Driver pay-how much can you afford to pay? And will buying a cheaper employee cost you more in fuel and maintenance? How "safe" is your driver? That'll have a significant impact on your insurance costs.

10. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    I think making beer is an interesting business: how much does it cost to make per bottle? What should I pay for hops? How much can I expect to make?

See how wildly open those questions are?

Beer on the shelf can go for $0.50 per unit up to $3+ per unit. It's all beer tho. Doesn't mean the people making $3 beer are ahead of the cheap stuff tho.

CanadianVaquero and spyder7723 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.