New truck... but what truck?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by onedayaway, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    If i had the time I would have done a glider. But, my Volvo is the quietest, best riding truck, biggest fridge, the built in inverter. Barged is awesome, the work station is great, I so far have no complaints. Ishift is pretty slick also , and even tho my first load is 45000 going thru all the hills to PA I look to up at least 1 mpg on my old Pete.
    If old trucks were as easy as mentioned above, just fix it and then your good I'd be driving one, BOTH used trucks I had were constantly needing something and I spend MY time doing a lot of the work, this truck should be reg maint. And warranty as long as I own it, so my expenses are fixed, and my time off is mine. I did my homework on which dealer to purchase from and fostered a good relationship there before buying, I will be able to drop it when I gO home and pick it up when I head out if it needs to go back for any repairs. The service intervals for regular PM is almost 60000kms, that cuts my maintenance bill drastically as I did oil and filters every 20000kms on my last truck. Sweet!!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. onedayaway

onedayaway Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2011
    alberta
    Quite honestly I would love a glider... However when I talked to the local Pete dealer they said if I was looking to finance the truck not to even waste my time. They said to secure financing on one in nearly impossible, especially being a first time buyer.

I would probably go with a 389 63" flat top. Pre-emission cummins, 18 speed, 13,200 5in drop front & super 40 rears. However it wouldn't do me any good if I couldn't finance it.. LOL

4. DrtyDiesel

DrtyDiesel Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Don't believe that man. There are other lenders who would finance the truck as a brand new one. Just gotta have the money down for a first time buyer, most likley 10-20% down. If you don't have at least a year of experience then you may have to have as much as 40-60% down.

Ethan

5. onedayaway

Jun 28, 2011
    alberta
    Peterbilt here claims on new truck 10% is plenty for first time buy with reasonable credit and a letter of intent from employer. Mind you I haven't even considered doing a app as I still don't know what I want nor am I ready to buy.

I see locally a 2004 freight shaker classic went up a 515hp Detroit series 60 that just rolled 600k miles, might be worth looking at for a 1 owner truck asking $30k or best over. I should really talk to the bank to see what they have to say as far as a loan or upping my line of credit. That way I could purchase the truck and used my saved money for start up and repairs. Although I'm not even sure what I'll require for funds to start up.

6. tanklage

tanklage Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2012
    what he said

and with all the puter controlled smog crap on the new trucks i would go for a pre regen low mile clean truck. new trucks with all the crud might be rated at 550 hp dont run like a '05 rated at less power. that smog crap robs you of everything. and maint on em aint cheap

7. Elroythekid

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    Freightliner will finance a glider thru Daimler financing with 10% down. But it will take a while. Fitzgeralds can do one and finance for Canadians, but still a waiting list for a 244 wheel base.
    If you have to borrow and have a fairly hefty payment on a used truck my advice would be to not do if you don't have 10-15k in cash ready for repairs. I've seen my escrow acct flush one month and empty the next. These things don't Nickle and dime you to death, they $1000 you to death. It's quick, but painful :)

8. WMGUY

WMGUY Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Nine Mile Falls, WA
    i agree when i was pulling 105k the guys with the aero trucks were beating me on mileage by a 10th or two and paccar holds up well to the weight

stick with the t800 and up the power,

i would put some concentration on things that rob power from the engine that will net more economy then the aero will in that operation

9. Elroythekid

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    I would definitely make sure the drivetrain was right to haul the weight, but concentrate on the improvements and options that will get him the MPG's on the return. 1/2 his miles will be empty and that is where he will put the money in the bank as far as fuel goes.

10. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Dealers, especially Pete dealers, are putting out claims about financing gliders that is just not true. I had no problem getting financed with GE Capitol in less than 24 hrs and only filling out 1 page of paperwork for my new glider. No tax returns, no promissory notes from a carrier, etc. Easiest financing of a truck I have ever had. Just emailed paperwork back and forth with Eric in Des Moines branch of GE Capitol and completed the deal. There are several equipment lenders that are up to speed, even more so than dealers, on glider trucks. I would have nothing to do with the OEM financing game. And truth be told, some of the OEM financing arms are just being funded by sources like GE Capitol. I know for a fact that Navistar Financial is totally dependent on GE Capitol for its funding stream. Might as well go to the source instead of thru the third party OEM financing.

Elroythekid Thanks this.
  11. onedayaway

Jun 28, 2011
    alberta
    Yeah, but that likely wasn't your first truck either cowpie!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.