New truck for hauling grain

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Jake Farmer, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Jake Farmer

Jake Farmer Bobtail Member

Aug 12, 2015
    I've always thought of volvos as cheap fleet trucks that are mostly plastic. I drive one now and find the interior horrible. I've never driven an I-shift but I hear they are nice to run. I'm about 6 foot 4 and the seat to me is very uncomfortable. I have no leg room either. Just some of my thoughts on volvos, not saying that paccar is any better.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Volvo's highway trucks seem like they wouldn't survive being off the pavement too long. I looked at a mid 2000's one not too long ago and I couldn't believe the oil pan only had like 10 inches of clearance. The old Autocars they built in the late 90's were dang near indestructible.

To answer the op question, if the truck will rarely ever drive on rough terrain, I think a Volvo would work just fine. If it needs to go out and drive over rough fields and such, I would look for something with a little more ground clearance.

4. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I was talking to a sales rep from Camex in Nisku at a truck show one year. He told me that if I was looking to get into a new truck that they see many, many more Peterbilts come back for emission system failures than they do Kenworths. Not sure why since he said they spec them out with more or less the same specs. Just something that I found interesting.

5. Licensed to kill

Licensed to kill Heavy Load Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Alberta
    My understanding is that the Pete's (not sure if this is exclusive to the them) have DEF pump failure issues.

6. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    I've seen lots of Pete's, Kenworths etc that are lower than my volvo. I'm assuming if you are going off road you would spec the truck differently? You certainly wouldn't buy a truck with hwy specs and off road it?

7. CanadianVaquero

CanadianVaquero Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I've driven a '15 volvo with the d16 and i-Shift. I liked the truck but I'm also 6'4 and I agree the seats arent that comfy. However, that i-Shift is something else...hate automatic unless it's an i-Shift.

8. Mr.X

Mr.X Heavy Load Member

Oct 31, 2013
    Spokane, WA
    For off road why not look at Western Star?

9. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Definitely got to spec the truck to the application. I haven't seen many Volvos used off the highway.

10. Mr.X

Mr.X Heavy Load Member

Oct 31, 2013
    Spokane, WA
    I have, and it wasn’t pretty! I’m thinking if the farmer has the money to go with a new truck then why not WS or Pete, because they seem to hold there value pretty good and I have never seen anything better than Western Star for off road, forestry and mining. Peterbilt and KW share second place IMHO.

Licensed to kill Thanks this.
  11. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    Really ??? I guess our trucks that we had to tow day one , 93 miles from the factory , were improperly maintained? 3 out of 5 the dealer dropped off that day did not make it off our yard. EPA ruined CAT!

Licensed to kill and Mr.X Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.