newbie looking to get on with averitt

Discussion in 'Averitt' started by RackEmUp, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Nukem

Nukem Road Train Member

May 11, 2014
    Congrats! Keep us posted on how the class is going

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RackEmUp

RackEmUp Light Load Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Oklahoma
    So I was supposed to start class on May 27, but the school called yesterday telling me that the class has been pushed back to June 1. Oh well...a few days isn't a big problem. At least it's not a few weeks. Hell, it just gives me a few extra days with my family before I head off.

Hurry up and wait, right?

4. RackEmUp

Apr 17, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Packing my things and headed to the housing tonight. Start CDL school at 0645 tomorrow. Can't wait!

5. Nukem

Nukem Road Train Member

May 11, 2014
    Good luck and keep us posted

6. chopper103in

chopper103in Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Crossville,Tn
    Good luck,

7. Mudfin

Mudfin Bobtail Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Hope it's going well for you. Are you at Central Tech in Drumright? That is where I am leaning towards going.

8. RackEmUp

Apr 17, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Yes. Great school! The instructors are awesome! They really work with you to make sure you know what you're doing. Only two students to a truck. Just started my second week. And love it. We are testing on coupling/uncoupling tomorrow. Been doing a lot of straight backing, shifting/downshifting in the straight lanes. Offset backing starts tomorrow. First road trip is next Wednesday. Just to give you an idea of the time frame. Homework every night for the first two weeks. Classroom for the first two to three days. And then it's range practice and more range practice. In-house CDL test after about three weeks. The whole program is four and a half weeks. If you can't tell, I would highly recommend this school. Good luck wherever you go!

Mudfin Thanks this.
  9. RackEmUp

Apr 17, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Alright....CDL test day....finally!

I was the first to be selected for testing. Did the pre-trip in great time and didn't miss anything. Had the straight back with no problem. I did have to make a pull up to fix my alignment on the passenger-side offset but was otherwise perfect. Then I drew the passenger-side parallel. I used a pull up to fix the alignment, one to get completely in the box, and a get out and look to be sure. The drive test was awesome! Hardly any traffic out there today and the examiner only had a couple minor things to say. All in all, I passed on the first attempt!!!

Now it's time to get a job! I have a couple local companies on the line and pre-hire stuff done with a few regional gigs. Now I just need to figure which one is the right fit. I still would like to get with Averitt, but of course my wife would be happier with me taking a local job. Wish me luck!

chopper103in Thanks this.
  10. Nukem

Nukem Road Train Member

May 11, 2014
    Congratulations! Job well done... Now the real work begins.

Any way you go, she will be a big factor in your decision as she will be taking up the slack while your on the road. So I would definitely include her on your thought processes and insights. The more both of you understand what it is your going to be doing, the less stress your going to have worrying about home issues.

RackEmUp Thanks this.
  11. Chris Yohn

Chris Yohn Bobtail Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Best of luck to you! If you have any questions, email me chrisataveritt@gmail.com

Been driving for them for a year now. I use my hazmat all the time. I have a TWIC and I think I have used it once. Probably not worth getting it unless Averitt just wants you to.

RackEmUp Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.