Newbie....lots of questions!

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by tony97905, Sep 5, 2015.

1. tony97905

tony97905 Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2015
    Land of Ahhhhhs
    Cobra 29 LTD / stock mic

#1 Was told by local cb shop to run a 5 1/2' Francis antenna for best results. Put antenna on, OEM coax, grounded antenna mounting to battery and I could Tx/Rx fine but everytime I keyed up the Ant light came on even though SWR was adjusted using internal meter. Went back to original antenna on the truck (4') and problem went away. Francis' site says their antennas don't need to be tuned....but can you and how? (Single antenna setup)

#2 Got put in different truck with dual antennas and unit works great until I had to jump in a rental and power cord was installed baxkwards and I fried it - should've verified, my fault. Took it to CB man in Salina, KS who showed me the burnt diode and said he could Tune/Peak and repair it for $65, I said ok. Fast forward to yesterday amd going down the road I smell electrical heat/smoke and see my radio shut off and was hot. Remove it, inline fuse is fine but smells like burnt toast....should I take it back to repairman or just bite the bullet and put it towards a new radio and don't mess with it other than checking SWR's and getting a good mic?

If I go the new radio route I'd like to send this one out to be repaired correctly or at least diagnosed honestly and keep it as a spare....who on the forum would be the best to send it to? Thanks in advance guys!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hudson_MacBeth

Hudson_MacBeth Medium Load Member

Sep 3, 2015
    There is no way to adjust swr with an internal meter on a cobra 29. The adjustment is just to adjust the calibration level of the meter itself, so that the reported swr is accurate. To tune swr, you need to ensure you have good coax, and a proper ground plane for the antenna, then adjust antenna length for proper swr.

Sometimes you get lucky and reverse polarity to the power cord only kills a reverse protection diode, but most of the time there is more wrong than that. I would take the radio back and either have the man fix it correctly, or refund your money.

Sorry, been out of a truck too long to give any good pointers on radio guys who won't "golden screwdriver" a radio to death.

tony97905 Thanks this.
  4. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    I think yours was "golden screwdrivered" to death. Plus I think he over charged you for what he did. You were told right to begin with....not sure what the problem is without more information...and for me, that probably means I'd have to be there.....or see some pictures.

rabbiporkchop and tony97905 Thank this.
  5. Hudson_MacBeth

Sep 3, 2015
    mike5511, not to hijack this thread, but ham op by chance?

6. tony97905

Feb 28, 2015
    Land of Ahhhhhs
    I just bought a new Cobra 29 LTD Classic and Astatic 636L....going to take other radio back and see what he says is wrong and how much....still open to sending it to a verified good tech on the forum to be fixed for a spare - any suggestions? I'm going to leave this radio alone and concentrate on the antenna side for "performance"....will have to see how existing antennas perform after verifying SWR's with a meter. BTW, can a guy fuse the ground side with a 5A fuse to protect from crossing polarity???

(Got the new Cobra for $79 with mail-in rebate from local Pilot for those in the market)

7. Hudson_MacBeth

Sep 3, 2015
    It really wont make a whole lot of difference with fusing. By the time the fuse blows, damage may already be done. My suggestion, if you dont want to build a reverse polarity protection circuit, and you move the radio around a lot, is to look into using Anderson power pole connectors. They are color coded quick connects that can be joined together, and only fit together one way. And, they are pretty inexpensive.

tony97905 Thanks this.
  8. Hudson_MacBeth

Sep 3, 2015
  9. Ougigoug

Ougigoug Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Planet earth
    Send the radio to DTB in Carlisle Pa explain what happen to Dave he will fix it right and won't over charge you for it.

You can't tune SWR with radio have reputable shop do it for you forget about factory coax get something decent and you will be fine, the francis antenna is doing a fine job also.

Good luck!

rabbiporkchop and tony97905 Thank this.
  10. tony97905

Feb 28, 2015
    Land of Ahhhhhs
    I just checked out the DTB website and think I'll send it in the next week or so and see what he says. I may have him fix and tune it since I've already got cost + $65 repair that last two weeks in it.....what's another $50-$75 right? LOL!

Ougigoug Thanks this.
  11. Ougigoug

Ougigoug Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Planet earth
    Call the men or email him he will tell you what's your option, one thing for sure he won't sell you anything you don't need.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.