Newbie to trucking.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Lightside, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Lightside

Lightside Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Hey everyone. Passed the road test yesterday and got my permit with endorsements. Just curious if anyone could recommend a good starter company? I was looking at May Trucking. I also applied to Gordon and Gardner but haven't heard back from them just yet. Prefer automatics but I understand it's best to start out with a 10-speed (that is what our school trained us with). I have also thought about local work but I think I'd rather go OTR to start out with. Thanks everyone! Looking forward to getting out there.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ordy19

Ordy19 Medium Load Member

Aug 19, 2014
    Call the people you've applied to.

G.Anthony and Puppage Thank this.
  4. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    2 questions. What area do you live in and do you have a Permit as stated or a Class A License w/ endorsements also what endorsements?

5. Lightside

Jul 4, 2015
    I live in the NW. I have a class A with all endorsements (working on hazmat) except pass/school bus.Ordy: yeah I did call them all back. Got an interview with Schneider and start May orientation soon. Looks like I will have to start there for the 6 months/1 year exp.

horsecrazychic22 Thanks this.
  6. seamallowance

seamallowance Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Use May for your training, stay six to nine months and then flee. You'll soon detest their sneaky ways.

7. CoolCraniums

CoolCraniums Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Rochester NY
    Congrats on your Class A. I just got mine two weeks ago. We had a rep from TMC come in and his speech sounded really good for flatbed driving. Unfortunately, that's the only rep we had a chance to listen to so I have nothing to compare it to. Good luck!

8. Lightside

Jul 4, 2015
    Thanks! and congrats to you as well. I've seen TMC around before but unfortunately they don't have any jobs here in the NW. Who else have you been looking at? We only had Schneider show up and May Trucking. Both great starting companies but I am leaning more towards Schneider..if only because they are larger company with more opportunities (tanker division etc)

CoolCraniums Thanks this.
  9. CoolCraniums

CoolCraniums Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Rochester NY
    I havent looked at any companies at all. I'm just doing this for the fun of it. I know, I'm nuts, lol. There are a few per diem possibilities locally here for me, but I'm not too worried about it. I'm just anxious to get my hands on a truck if I can. :-D

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.