Newcoming to trucking & hotshots. Exploring the idea. Need advice.

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by smithsmithy, Oct 28, 2016.

1. smithsmithy

smithsmithy Bobtail Member

Oct 28, 2016
    Hello,

I am exploring the idea of getting into hot shots in Texas. Trucks are in Houston.

I have two new 2500 4wd HD dully crewcuts from a previous business.

I have one 20ft big tex trailers. I am open to buying 2 used trailers if needed.

I have 1 driver with CDL, 1 with out.

I understand my need to get Dot, MC #s, & insurance.

I am researching to see if there is a good opportunity to earn a few grand each month from doing hot shots. If not, no big deal I will sell the trucks.

My questions:

1. What type of runs are possible staying in Texas? i.e., Hou- austin, Hou-Dallas, Hou-San Antonio, etc.

-open to trips to Lousianna. No trips longer than a days round trip.

-What are some good brokers to gage job profitability?

2. What can be transported with my current trucks. Again, I am open to upgrading trailers.

3. Are brokers the best way to get steady work? How common is going direct. IE, A roof supply company. Job: to drop off shingles to homes. Or hauling other building materials.

4. Can the non CDL driver still qualify for jobs? If not, I have a backup guy with a CDL.

5. Is my goal possible in your experience?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Do you have background in roofing?

4. smithsmithy

Oct 28, 2016
  5. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    I ran into a guy loading up at a place where they formed up a/c duct work. He had been in that business and said his health and his business was in such shape that he could continue in the manufacturing end and had a older 250 powerstroke and a used tag along trailer. He had many contacts in that industry and was testing the waters in delivering this for some of his former colleagues. I showed him how I used the load board ( he had never heard of it) He told me he had more work than he could do. When I seen your post I thought of that guy. He knew that business and his wife did not want him to buy new equipment until they knew he could make a living at it. He was only loaded outbound that's I was showing how the load board works for me. I don't know anything else about him other than he was based out of Alanta.

6. smithsmithy

Oct 28, 2016
    That's really interesting. He cut out the middleman/ broker and found a niche. I will keep my eyes peeled for a opportunity like that. I live in a huge city so just looking people hauling stuff should give me a few ideas. Thanks

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.