No air pressure in secondary tank

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Lepton1, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Please tell us what it was when its repaired.

x1Heavy and Big Don Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I bet its that two way check valve that feeds primary and secondary tanks from the wet tank. Either that or a blockage or kink in a line to the secondary tank.

haycarter, Hammer166 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    The cavalry was called off when the mechanic told the owner how much his time was worth for a 900 mile round trip! I thought that was a bad idea.

The owner had another mechanic call me. Had me take out the drainage plug on the secondary tank, run the engine, then bleed off the primary, put the plug back in, and then restart. Problem not resolved.

Now the plan is to limp across the freeway to the International dealership and let them troubleshoot it. Likely won't be any need for replacement parts. No dealerships in this town are 24/7, so I need to wait till morning.

I looked for a wet tank, but could not find it. The mechanic said that this make and model may have it inside the secondary? Now the trailer air bags and air ride seat are drained. All bad thoughts of driving this on the open road are gone completely.

x1Heavy and Big Don Thank this.
  5. free spirited1

free spirited1 Heavy Load Member

Mar 18, 2012
    USA
    Get it to a dealer and count your blessings while your waiting in the driver lounge, hopefully not the motel!

x1Heavy and Lepton1 Thank this.
  6. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    True THAT... but by this time I was expecting to be back in OKC, getting the truck washed and in the shop, and arranging a flight home to take a week off. That's delayed, but the sun will come up tomorrow.

By the way, when I cranked up the truck this morning and the issue with the secondary tank presented itself, I noticed the air conditioning was blowing hot air. Is this related to the problem with the secondary tank? For example is the air dryer common to both systems?

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. Chris50

Chris50 Medium Load Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Florida
    My AC doesnt blow cold air if the low air warning buzzer is on after it sits for a while,slow leak.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    HM....

I fix coffee and get back to you.

You gotta pump air. If you gots air in all tanks then the problem is in the gauge. Possible? Bad gauge?

I never had a air gauge fail in all my years on the road. Tanks spit gallons of gunk yes but never a tank pressure gauge...

9. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    As @NorthernMechanic pointed out, this is simple. There is a check valve that only lets air into the tanks from the wet tank. That's what is causing this. If it was the dryer he'd have no air in either tank.

As for the a/c blowing hot, if that truck uses air to control the blend doors, then it's likely why it blows hot. Shut of the water valves feeding the heater core and it should blow cool.

Lepton1, tucker and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. haycarter

haycarter Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Australia
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Plus ONE to this Lot..

Lepton1, lester and Hammer166 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.