No Jake brake or Cruise control

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by Mudguppy, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Mudguppy

Mudguppy Degenerate Immoralist

Apr 28, 2014
    Wooley Swamp
    Hey y'all.
    Just got my truck out of the shop the other day. Had the clutch go out-had it replaced with a new clutch, pilot bearing and flywheel resurfaced. It's a 98 W900L with just short of 1.5 million on the clock.
    When I got back on the road I noticed that neither the Jake or cruise ctrl is working. My first thought was maybe a fuse or relay...Unfortunately the labels in the fuse panel are hard to read. So I got my test light and checked all the fuses, which were fine. I would try a good relay out, but even using the Googles I am having a hard time finding a fuse panel schematic that I can read on my tablet.
    So, anyone have a link to a good image I can try? Also, any other ideas on why they aren't working? I pulled the switch panel out and made sure nothing was loose or unhooked and all was OK.

Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I am not a mechanic and don't claim to be one but I had a 379 years ago that did this same thing. All it was was the spring on the clutch pedal. The pedal wouldn't fully release and this caused cruise and jake to not work.

Rideandrepair, flood, Bean Jr. and 2 others Thank this.
  4. TheDude1969

TheDude1969 Heavy Load Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Joliet, Il
    my first thought would be clutch switch. I bet if you have auto shut down idle timer to kill the engine it doesn't work either. Or high idle

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. Mudguppy

Apr 28, 2014
    Wooley Swamp
    Nah, no idle shutdown....it's a '98...lol

I'm not familiar with the clutch switch. I'm guessing it's by the clutch somewhere?

6. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I would say clutch switch too. Look under the cab, usually the linkage hits it somewhere

Mudguppy Thanks this.
  7. Mudguppy

Apr 28, 2014
    Wooley Swamp
    Does it look like a toggle switch or similar? Don't want to sound ignorant, but I am regarding this particular animal.....

8. wore out

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    No not really gup, I'm trying to think how to explain it. It will be a two wire switch with a long spring looking piece for the on/off or open/closed. Wait on a kdub with a hung pedal its under the dash. My Pete is under the cab but its a whole diff set up

9. Mudguppy

Apr 28, 2014
    Wooley Swamp
    Oh, okay. So I need to pull the dash cover off under there then. I'll check it out. Thx. bro.

10. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    It's either the Brake or Clutch Switch or the Throttle Pedal Position Sensor that is attached to your Accelerator Pedal or it could be the Accelerator Pedal itself.

11. wore out

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Yea that cover underneath. You should hear a click when moving the pedal first little bit

Mudguppy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.