No License

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by mitgib, Aug 27, 2016.

1. mitgib

mitgib Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2016
    Rock Hill SC
    I let my license lapse in 2007, I'm 52 and had a CDL in 1988 and drove OTR until 1991. Now living in South Carolina and they require 180 days with a learners permit before I can even get a drivers license. I know it is my own fault for letting my license lapse, but my question is, are there states that are not as strict? My last license was from Missouri, but when I requested a certified DMV report, which SC will accept to do away with the 180 day wait, MO had already expunged my records. If I have to wait 6 months, I have to wait, just looking for any other options. I am single, live alone, so I can move anyplace in the country to establish residency. Working IT for the past 20 years, but too much freelance from India is making life lean, so my thought is to go back OTR, but I seem to have a bit of a monkey wrench right now.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    Reason for edit: typo
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    Not to be off topic, but IT here also, I am rethinking IT due to the India folks undercutting salaries to the point trucking just about pays the same.
    Good luck, look at MIssouri for less time.

4. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    You let your class D license lapse? No license at all since 07?

5. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
  6. CajunGator52

CajunGator52 Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2016
    South Louisiana
    Louisiana requires a 14 day wait between permit and test.

7. lcfd15

lcfd15 Medium Load Member

Sep 17, 2014
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    Georgia allowed me to test the next day after permit, but company wanted me with a trainer for 3 weeks.

8. mitgib

mitgib Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2016
    Rock Hill SC
    Yes, I have not need to drive for the past 10+ years, a moped is fine for me 99% of the time. No license needed

Rock Hill

9. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I now work there.

10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    It amazes me some of the things India does, being a 4th world country.Yesterday on the news there's a picture of a guy, probably in his 30's, carrying his wife's dead body home from the hospital. Had to walk 12 miles with her over his shoulder. Hospital wouldn't help.

UsualSuspect and Dye Guardian Thank this.
  11. mitgib

mitgib Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2016
    Rock Hill SC
    I'm going to have to review the GA DMV rules to insure I can establish residency and test right away, that certainly sounds like it will meet my needs, and since it has been decades since I've been in a truck, I wouldn't mind training for a month, or whatever, it has to be better than the 6 months I originally did with my father ;)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.