no lights in cab or sleeper

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Coolbreezin, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Coolbreezin

Coolbreezin Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2016
    Florida
    Hey all. 1991 379LN, I have no interior lights at all other than the gauges.All fuses look good, A/C blower in back works fine. Where do i start digging to find this problem? I'm more of a motorcycle mech and definitely not a 12 volt guy. Please help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. iRookie

iRookie Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2015
    Take off your sunglasses! J/K Sounds like a relay problem.

4. Coolbreezin

Jun 11, 2016
    Florida
    Can relays be tested or do i just replace it hoping?

5. iRookie

iRookie Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2015
    I was looking at the fuse diagram apparently there's not a relay for interior lights. Take a look at the diagram below and try swapping 20A fuses marked in RED, if it works one of the fuse is blown. Hope this helps.

1466026749335.jpg

6. justa_driver

justa_driver Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Tennessee
    You probably have some fuses in the sleeper. Id get a test light and check all the fuses. Sometimes they look good when they are bad. My pete had a little panel under the A/C controls in the sleeper that had fuses in it.

7. BoostedTeg

BoostedTeg Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Boise ID
    I'm having the same issue on my KW only mine works on and off

8. Coolbreezin

Jun 11, 2016
    Florida
    Didnt find any fuses or box in the sleeper area. I checked the two storage areas (from outside) under the bed. One has the a/c unit in it and the other is empty. No fuses or fuse box anywhere. I looked behind the seats, nothing there. Im stumped. Anymore ideas? Is it possible a relay is being used instead of a fuse?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  9. Luwi67

Luwi67 Heavy Load Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Long island
    There are no fuses in the bunk so you can save some time not looking anymore. The only fuse in my 97 in for an acc. port 20a inline.

Try checking the fuse panel with a volt meter in place of the fuse for the lighting, it's possible there could be corroded terminals behind the fusebox itself if there ever was a leaky windshield. Also pull the glove box and check the roof harness ground, it is to the right bolted to the aluminum dash extrusion just below the glove box. chances are it is covered in light green corrosion.

Old school 362 Thanks this.
  10. Coolbreezin

Jun 11, 2016
    Florida
    Thank you all for your input. I gave up. Its too #### hot to do this kind of work. So...standard 110 desk lamp and a small power inverter.

11. Old school 362

Old school 362 Medium Load Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Pensacola Fl
    Check behind sleeper controls. Should find the main wire harness for the sleeper. Check door switch for power. Think the harness runs behind interior on driver side of cab. Then back to the left side of sleeper.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.