No Touch Freight

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Nuttinlikeanap, May 22, 2008.

1. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    What is this "no touch" freight you speak of? Sounds a bit foreign to me.

Okay... in all seriousness, have you ever considered intermodal (container hauling)?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. joplinlocal

joplinlocal Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Joplin, MO
    I've worked shipping / receiving for years and have rarely met a driver that didn't want to "touch" freight. Most drivers "dive" right in helping to unload on their own initiative even when told it's not necessary and we have plenty of help. Rarely do they ask to note "driver assist" on the BOL. Most times I have to insist on writing it so they can be compensated for their help.

I guess the drivers I've run into don't mind working together to get the job done and on their way. We always strive to get live loads / unloads completed in less than an hour. Makes life easier for everyone involved.

4. Rerun8963

Rerun8963 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2006
    ova-hereee

NOT AS NICE....????....[​IMG]

5. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    I'm well over 55 years old and been doing LTL for almost 38 years. I had a delivery to Roundys in Sheboygan, WI. I walk in and the receiver looks at my bill, says " You have 40K Lbs on can food on the wrong pallets, we need you to put them on Chep Pallets". That was back in 1990. To this day, On Every Wednesday, I brake down 2000 plus pieces, sort and segregate, and it takes me about 3hrs to do this. Then we have to count all of them, another hour. My point is, Crunchy Knees, if you out of shape, and have a hard time even climbing up in the truck, You need to go on a diet. Manual labor has been the lifeline in LTL trucking forever. Sysco Foods, is another, Total manual labor. Sitting in a truck all day, and eating constantly is a bad combination. If you want to continue trucking, you will have to tell them, I'm not doing manual labor, or you`ll have to get in better shape. I would recommend, better shape, in the long run, you`ll live longer. Good Luck.

6. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    The only problem with that is if you brought that load in on CHEP palletts--Roundy's would re-invent small wood just for you! LMAO

Sorry I couldn't help it! Been there done that--

Wargames Thanks this.
  7. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    You know Olhand, I still remember that stop ot this day. I said to them, O.K. Pull them out and put your pallets next to them and Ill get started. I was totally soak and wet, but put my headband on or sweat gets in my eyes. It took over 3hrs to do that. I was in good shape and knocked it out. NOW these days. Its going back, no matter what. LOL

8. ‘Olhand

Jan 18, 2011
    LOL I hear ya--I still do LTL--but OTR--rare more than 4 stops a day--then drive a few hundred--well you know--and I do still unload--but just usually couple of pallets at a time--my favorite is the youngn's who I run into that tell me how much better their company is cause ain't no way they are gonna do that--they are driver's!
    Depending on my mood--I either tell them yeah I know--my Boss sux--or I ask them for the number for there company and theit name--so they can get the referal bonus--if I am lucky enough to get hired!
    As for getting older--my favorite is watching some of the kids--still jumping off the back of a trailer--not jealous--just cant help thinking to myself--you're gonna regret this later! LMAO

Big Don and Wargames Thank this.
  9. Laner99

Laner99 Light Load Member

May 9, 2011
    Richmond, VA
    Well for me I would like exercise but I just don't want to be lifting 400 50lb boxes and doing alot of manual labor everyday on top of no showers. I will do what I have to but the heat in the summer is a mean monkey on my back. I will have to take it as it comes. I'm looking to do a major change in my life over the upcoming months and leave my profession. I have researched the heck out of trucking and feel I have a good grasp on the basics. The road will teach my the rest; and the awesome trucker community that keeps America alive. I am SO looking forward to it.

10. ‘Olhand

Jan 18, 2011
    Laner--all you have to do is pull a reefer--I never have that summer heat problem--it is always cold in my wagon!--LOL
    Good luck to you--and there are lot's of the bigger companies that have no touch policies(for a variety of reasons)just have to really do some homework

Wargames and Laner99 Thank this.
  11. Laner99

Laner99 Light Load Member

May 9, 2011
    Richmond, VA
    I found a reefer company weeks ago online called FFE. Frozen Foods Express. They are green trucks and uniforms. I never thought of picking a reefer. Maybe that would be the gig for me. I'll just keep researching. Thanks for the feedback! :)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.