Normal for truckers to use company card for "Extras"??

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by theimers, Oct 13, 2016.

1. theimers

theimers Bobtail Member

Oct 13, 2016
    My husband and I own a small moving business in which we have a tractor trailer for our long hauls. We are, admittedly, new to this part of the business. We send our credit card along with the driver and the mover that rides with him for gas...I'm finding that they use the credit card for lots of $5-$10 purchases at the truck stops which I can only assume is for food and snacks as they aren't bringing me the receipts for these small purchases but they bring me the large fuel purchase receipts. I don't mind if they get something here or there but they've racked up over $100 in just the last week on these smaller purchases. ANYWAY....is this normal? Is this something I should expect? I want to know before I say anything to them as I try to be a fair and understanding owner. But, this seems a little extreme. Also, is there a good way to give them a card that only allows them to buy gas?? I'm thinking maybe that's the route I should go. Thanks so much!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    Most trucking companies use some type of fuel card. It allows the driver to purchase fuel and sometimes oil, coolant, washer fluid, etc. but does not allow anything else. The cards also require a driver-specific PIN when it is swiped so it can't be used if it is lost or stolen. There are several companies that specialize in this type of card service. The big one is COMDATA and its accepted at all major truck stop chains. EFS is another and there are many more, too.

Also, this is not acceptable behavior from your drivers. Unless you've given them specific permission to use your card for snacks and smokes, they are stealing from you. Put a stop to it now.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  4. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    For smaller companies you should get a NASTC card. www.nastc.com/
    National
    Association of
    Small
    Trucking
    Companies

It is a fuel card that allows you a discount off of the pump price. I believe the current discount is $1 off. It is only a credit card that is used for fuel and oil, not showers or meals.

5. pigeon river trucking

pigeon river trucking Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    michigan
    Absolutely not ! Deduct it from pay

Longarm and lovesthedrive Thank this.
  6. theimers

theimers Bobtail Member

Oct 13, 2016
    Thank you all!! I really appreciate your feedback. I will start looking into gas cards.

lovesthedrive Thanks this.
  7. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Also even with megas you have to turn receipts on.

8. Longarm

Longarm Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2011
    You're being taken advantage of.

The fuel card is your best option. You could also simply deduct unauthorized purchases from their pay.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.