Not for hire/state and federal compliance info needed.

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by 28sstony, Jan 31, 2016.

1. clausland

clausland Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2014
    North Woods
    Once you cross State lines, even just once, private carrier or not, even under #26k, you are under obligation to comply with the Federal regs and subject to audit and all else that comes with that....Stay intrastate only and you only deal with State regs...Got this straight from the man....Don't believe it, call them...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scalemaster

Scalemaster Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Midwest
    ....Stay intrastate only and you only deal with State regs - depending on how the state has adopted the federal regulations, you may be subject to the federal regs even in intrastate operation.

brian991219 and rambler Thank this.
  4. clausland

clausland Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2014
    North Woods
    You're likely right....That's what happens with a bloated gov't bureaucracy, no one really knows exactly what the law is or means...It gets "interpreted" differently, depending on who you talk too....But when it's all said and done, the working guy out there, who's just trying to earn an honest wage and do things according to the "law", gets hosed....We run a small carrier intrastate as private and exempt commodities hauler....When we applied for our "number", I called and spoke to the "senior investigator" just so their were no "misunderstandings".. If there's anything grey, I always get it in writing (section of law) and get the agents name & number....As I've said before, law enforcement views carriers as a cash cow and it will only get worse.....

5. rambler

rambler Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2007
    I agree with this. The OP seriously needs to call or pay a visit to his local commercial enforcement division or contact the state capital division and get his regs from the horses mouth....very important before going any further. You possibly could find it may be more cost effective to broker the work out to someone without the headaches. Could go either way.

6. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Over 26k gross he not only needs IFTA but IRP or trip permits as well since he is going out of state.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.