Not really a bad company but a bad experience from a Good Company. Transport America

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Wooly Rhino, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    First let me tell you that as a company, I saw a lot in my week with Transport America. The company seems solid. The trucks are well maintained and the pay is right in line with the better paying folks. They run Qual Comm and have a first rate Navigation program. You do most of your fueling at their own terminals and they have good showers and such there. They also have some note pads that make keeping track of trips much easier. The Fort Wayne training is run professionally and the medical staff really looks out for you. I saw three of our 6 sent home because they were not in shape to drive.

I have 7 years in as a driver but they had a problem with my driving on the road test. Okay, I can learn so I agreed to go with a trainer. And here is were my problems began.

On the road test, I failed to down shift. So sue me. No one downshifts all the time. Many driver kick it out of gear and let it roll to a stop. We all do it from time to time and I should not have done it on a road test.

I get a trainer who chain smokes. I do not smoke. He asked me if he could smoke. What am I going to say, no. It is his truck and he is the boss. So yes smoke away. I could live with it if it wasn't going to be too long. The first load we picked up was little marshmallow stars for Lucky Charms. I kid you not. He goes in to the plant and hits on the young woman who works there. Had I been the boss, I would have let him know that I found that to be very unprofessional. But I was only trying to get through the week. He hit on every woman he saw. Hanging out the window at red lights. Point out breast sizes everywhere. And the jokes. I thought anti gay, anti black humor had died a natural death.

Okay then we wash the truck. The truck is a very nice 2012 Cascadia and he is very proud of it. I would be also. I think a man has a right to have a good truck. He kept pointing out a place on the dash where a student had scarred the vinyl. I understand. Your truck, keep it nice. Company truck, keep it nice but keep it real. This was a company truck.

Still it is going fine. On the second day of driving he has corrected the things I was doing wrong and put in a notice to the bosses that I should test out on Friday. Everything going good. Except. I am a little stubborn. And I have a few bad habits. We came upon a parking place that required me to go around a light pole and pull in. I did not think I could make it but he said sure you can. Okay. I started in, I had gone past the set up point but I was going to give it a shot. I was about 3/4 of the way in and he said stop you cant make it. I told him sure I can. In about 3 more feet I had to agree. I couldn't make it and backed out and founded a different place to park. No problem. But he wrote it up as "hard headed and won't take advice." Fine.

Then the bottom fell out. The next day we load buckets of tar in the back of the truck to take to three different home fix up stores. The weight is 40,000 pounds. He wants to scale. Okay. Fine. I would not have scaled it as it was not loaded over the tail and the tandems looked like they were fine. They it turned out were fine. The scale is a company scale but no one is there to run it. I line up on the scale and pull the drives over the scale. He gets out and tells me to watch his hand signals. He goes into the scale house and runs it himself. He is on the passengers side so I have to look at him in the passenger mirror. He has me pull forward, stop, then pull back. Stop, forward. Stop forward, stop back, stop forward stop. Back. You get it. Back and forth. While doing this the last time, I rub the curb. I have scratched the vinyl on the steps below the bottom step up. My God. Someone is going to have to buff it out and use a touch of armor all on it. He gets on the phone and calls safety and tells him a student slammed into a wall. Now safety isnt there. I am . I tell them I wouldn't have even reported it. Had I been alone, it would not have happened. Had he been alone it would not have happen. It was the fact that I was driving while looking into the passengers side mirror at his direction that cause me to rub the curb. 95% of the people driving trucks would have ignored it. But it was his baby and he went nuts. The next day we drove by a rental car lot and the folks at safety told me it would be best if I just went home. I did. They then sent me a letter telling me that the occurance was preventable. Great. make it hard for me to support my family. Mess with my DAC. We will see how that turns out as I am a fighter. A legal one that is.

So, what did I learn. Nothing. I am too hard headed to learn. I would recommend the company to anyone. I wish I still worked for them. I hate how it ended but I believe that to be a personal issue between me and the trainer. I don't want to get him fired as he has a family also. Just one of those things. But I do not believe I should have to suffer for rubbing a curb when he, my boss, was giving me directions.

Am I wrong? (that is where you all join in an support me.) :yes2557:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WMGUY

WMGUY Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Nine Mile Falls, WA
    im not sure where i stand, i mean you were on a drive test (interview) so you should have been on the ball, then you got stuck with an anal trainer but you were at the wheel and scrubbed the vinyl well you were at the wheel

4. snowman01

snowman01 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2011
    North Carolina
    uh...hmmm.....you have to be pretty careful on road tests and do everything by the book even though none of us do when we are on the road. It is a test afterall but thats water under the bridge. I guess that the first day of him chain smoking would have led to my calling the company and asking for a new trainer and surly with him cracking jokes like that. Nice guy or not but you put up with it to get on the road so good for you. Bottom line..you hit the curb hard or soft. He was a **** for calling it in like that but it is his truck. I don't know what to tell ya..

5. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Honestly......you ain't gonna like this.....but......

you couldn't suck it up for ONE WEEK? Says something about you, doesn't it?

6. Jorihe84

Jorihe84 Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2010
    North Florida
    You said it yourself. Your hard headed. If the man says no, then its no. As far as the curb rub, Idk.... Companies frown on curbing anything. If you have to stop watching your trainer to observe your surroundings, then do it immediately.

snowman01 Thanks this.
  7. snowman01

snowman01 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2011
    North Carolina
    2 different large companies, 2 driving tests and one of the first things out of both guys mouths was "don't run a curb, I won't be impressed"

8. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    the op states that he would just take it out of gear and let it roll to a stop??..that is not very smart thing to do..there's a reason why they tell you to down shift..it helps with braking!!...
    refusing to weigh a 40k lb load just because "it looks fine".... these are just some demostrations of acts that might just make a company look the other way when looking at hiring a driver when these acts are done especially during a road test.

MachoCyclone Thanks this.
  9. Jorihe84

Sep 1, 2010
    North Florida
    I've heard that everywhere I've been..in driving school it was a automatic failure along with coasting. Sad part is, in the real world, we coast and curb.. we coast because we can get lazy sometimes but not curbing something just isn't practical at all.

One thing I never understood was driving schools actually penalizing you for too many pullups while backing. You get penalized for being safe, and castrated for bumping something.

10. Jorihe84

Sep 1, 2010
    North Florida
    I pulled a 41k load with USX that "looked fine" and ended being over gross. Never assume anything .

11. RizenPhoenix

RizenPhoenix Road Train Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Santa Cruz, CA
    My question is as a non smoker why on earth would you tolerate being in a truck with a smoker? I would have made it very clear the trainer would have had to be a non-smoker. Then again with 7 years experience I would have told them where to park their truck if they had told me I needed to go out with a trainer. They would have needed a lot of lube in order to comply with my instructions.

I think all the little things point to the real problem. You have a lack of focus and attention to detail. Not wanting to scale loads, rubbing curbs, poor backing, and coasting during a drive test show a pretty consistent habit of blowing the small stuff off. Problem is in this profession you never know when blowing something off will jump up and bite you.

THEPRIZEFIGHTER Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.