Now they are introducing even bigger roadtrains into Australia

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by Ozdriver, Dec 26, 2015.

1. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    They have different licences in Australia.
    Before you can do roadtrain you need ex amount off years driving "normal semis" (if i remember correctly)

Ozdriver Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ozdriver

Ozdriver Heavy Load Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Australia
    The roadtrains are hauling from mines which have a limited life. Roy Hill is a rival company, but I did read somewhere that they would haul other companies iron ore, but the cost of putting in a spur line would be too great.
    Rio Tinto is another big miner in the region and they are experimenting with driverless trains, also a lot of their mine haul trucks are driverless.

4. Ozdriver

Oct 16, 2015
    Australia
    You need a Multi Combination license for one of these. All our licenses are graduated, you work your way up until you get the MC license. You can't get into a semi right away like it seems they can in US straight out of truck driver school.

AModelCat and Ruthless Thank this.
  5. Ozdriver

Oct 16, 2015
    Australia
    They get around 5000 hours out of an ISX. We only have DEF here at the moment, no EGR or regen. We are a couple of years behind the US with emissions.
    The first ISXs with variable vane turbos and EGR but no DEF were a disaster, that's why KW made a monster truck for this type of work with a K19 to get more reliability, they would get 20,000 hours.

Ruthless Thanks this.
  6. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    Ugh 5k hours out of a motor!

Ozdriver Thanks this.
  7. Ozdriver

Oct 16, 2015
    Australia
    I guess they're pretty adept at changing engines.
    My brother is a driver up there on one of the 175 tonne quads. He said the engines have something like a 98% load factor, in other words they are full throttle 98% of the time. Even empty they are around 60 tonnes and it's around 120 deg F up there atm. I'm wondering how all these electronics are going to last.

Ruthless Thanks this.
  8. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    An engine with no EGR and a DPF/SCR system would be an ideal setup. If the EPA allowed it, Volvo would dump the EGR valve in a heartbeat.

Ozdriver Thanks this.
  9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    That's pretty smart. Driving school is an option where I live. As long as a guy passes his medical exam, written and road tests, they issue a license. Seems a little lax to me.

Ozdriver Thanks this.
  10. Ozdriver

Oct 16, 2015
    Australia
    Fusion Contracting, which is buying these super quads, put out a training video a while back on how to approach the FMG iron ore rail crossing. You don't want a 175 tonne quad meeting up with a 30,000+ tonne train at the same time.
    The trucks and trains are running 24/7 up there and it gets pretty busy, but there has never been a truck/train collision as far as I know.

11. 4x4_Welder

4x4_Welder Medium Load Member

Sep 16, 2014
    Eastern Orygun
    They have to look like this:
    [​IMG]

postmandav and Beardefreak Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.