o/o of 4 car hauler vs 9 car company driver

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by trucko, Feb 14, 2016.

1. trucko

trucko Medium Load Member

Aug 3, 2015
    I am at the point where i am comparing these two because i think you can make same amount of money with more or less same efforts.

So far what i think is if you work on new cars with 9 car carrier you make good and in winter you are as busy as in summer. So you are happy and make 120k+ and you wont compare those two

However if you work on Auction cars and used cars then you should think and compare those two

1. 4 car trailer and dodge Ram 3500. You can gross 100 000 before tax money a year ( all expenses deducted)

2. working on 9 car carrier as company driver you can make 100 000

In first case you have more freedom. You find loads yourself. Easy load, season affects you less than 9 cars

In second case you have benefits you don't have to take care of truck. But you should obey where dispatcher wants to send you

Which one would you choose to do and why?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    There's dozens of threads about this. And it's the same story that none one wants to hear:

The 3500 will be wore out junk before you know it.

4. trucko

trucko Medium Load Member

Aug 3, 2015
    I heard that since i talk to guys i see on auctions i have not seen anybody complaining about 3500

If it works at least 3 years then you are fine.

5. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    I used to be leased a company that did allot of hotshotting years ago. Trust me, do yourself a favor and get a medium duty truck instead of a light duty pickup truck.
    Pickups simply aren't made to withstand the usage like a real commercial truck. You'll have a beat to death pickup truck after about 18 months.

brian991219 and Hammer166 Thank this.
  6. SLANT6

SLANT6 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    The Nut House
    Ever see a 4 car trailer hooked to a dually involved in a serious highway accident and the pipe hooked to the less than stellar 5th wheel breaks off? You had better hope you are 4' tall. I've seen more than once the trailer make a convertible out of that P/U.
    In 42 years have never seen a semi trailer or stinger trailer bust off, and I've been out on some nasty wrecks

7. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    You will have just as much seasonal change in volume with auction cars as you do with new cars. You will also have a much greater fluctuation in rates with the auction work, especially if you are doing dealer deliveries or broker board work. All I do is auction work, mostly inbound directly for the auctions (3 different ones) and I have a large swing between my busy season and my slow season.

Also, 4 cars on a Dodge 3500 is way too much, it just is not safe, I do not care what the weight ratings say, we started with a dually and 3 car wedge and got into a tractor trailer quickly because it just wasn't safe or cost effective.

8. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    Have to be careful with the medium duty stuff as well paying attention to range of service, gearing etc. Saw a lot of people buy those mid range trucks & essentially push them off a cliff within a year & buy a good used class 8.

9. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    VERY TRUE !! Yes you have to be careful with specs, many are underpowered and over geared. Make sure the specs are good for highway use!!

10. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    Yep, when you tell most people to buy a medium duty truck they go out a purchase a used Ryder or Uhaul truck, they are the lowest HP/TQ pieces of #### you can buy, you REALLY need to look, AND know what you are looking for to buy a correctly speced MD, If it was me, I would only consider ordering one nothing less than an ISL 380hp but that is just me.

But here again, before you do that, you can buy a used class 8 S/A and be time money and value ahead.

11. canadianredneck

canadianredneck Light Load Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Western Arkansas
    I run outta vegas, mostly semis run the auctions here. A majority of the 6 car and under are class 6 and class 8's. Even three carhaulers. The newbies run the pickups so they don't have to stop at the cali scales. Then they go over both passes to so cal. By the time they hit the bottom of el cajon, they are begging for a class 8 with jakes at any price. More than a couple have ended up in the o #### runaway ramp. You can't make money for long in a pickup. I know from experience.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.