O/O that prefer dry van over reefer

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by asphaltreptile311, Sep 26, 2016.

1. asphaltreptile311

asphaltreptile311 Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2016
    Do you prefer dry van over reefer? is there a big price difference for you?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Never done reefer, been in the furniture business almost all my life-it's all I know.
    @Dave_in_AZ love to do reefer, I'm sure he can give you a few pointers! lol

4. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Sometimes there is but more than not. My friend has done reefer for the past 15 years & he is in the north east. He just said to me the other day that it really is no difference probably better on the dry van considering the responsibility with reefer loads & the waiting to get loaded & unloaded

5. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Whichever pays. All about the money for me in what I book out on the reefer or the van any given day. Oddly though I get better rates with the van but it doesn't move near as much as the reefer. It's much easier to get a solid rate with the reefer than it is the van. I like both.

double yellow, tonycr and russtrucker Thank this.
  6. somat

somat Bobtail Member

Dec 30, 2011
    atlanta,ga
    If you want to make money in dry van get a hazmat and tanker endorsment.
    Dry van loads dont pay as much.

7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Van. Unless your into pain.
    Solo just do van. So much less hassle. I made good money.
    I think you could make some good money with refer if you ran team coast to coast. Still hassle. I've bumped into some guys that run around the Midwest solo that do well.
    I'm good with a van, wouldn't be opposed to a reefer if it paid and the hassle wasn't there, but I've yet to see that. Doing it as O/O too, you better make dang sure you have the (right) money in there for lumpers, cause some of them are insanely expensive, and you have to use the receivers lumpers most of the time.
    The wait times at some of the receivers and procedures are just F/U. Interesting to see what happens if we all have to e-log.

TallJoe Thanks this.
  8. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Not true at all. I never haul haz-mat. It's all about the right time and place, how badly that product is needed, or how many $10,000's of thousands of dollar a minute it costs if a line goes down. If trucks are hard to find even paper rolls can pay extremely well. And right on with tanker endorsement those can be good money makers too.

redoctober83 Thanks this.
  9. asphaltreptile311

asphaltreptile311 Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2016
    Is it harder to find dry van loads over reefer loads?

10. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Dry is usually the easiest to get loaded with. Reefer you have to find a niche that your able to work to really see the potential, easier said than done. My dad's torn between a flat or reefer. He'd love to haul produce again but he would be way out of his element considering the last time he did it was back when power steering and AC were optional in trucks

11. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    This is going to sound smart ### and not trying to be that way but finding loads anywhere in the country isn't the problem with either trailer. Finding good paying loads is the challenge.

ibcalm19 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.