occasional misfire

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Starboyjim, May 23, 2016.

1. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    I need some help with this irritating problem. My '08 FTLR, 14L DD60 purrs like a kitten - most of the time, good power, 8mpg. Then it'll start hesitating, then it'll misfire, then it'll misfire really badly, then it'll lose power and drop up to 25mph before kicking back in, buck and snort like an old, pissed off mule. It hasn't stopped on the road yet, but sometimes it's really bad. Then it'll run perfect for a few days. It does not throw codes, so the shops are pretty much helpless.

I have spent a lot of time on this in the last 2 years, and a considerable amount of earned income. New DPF harness, intake throttle valve, one injector once, then a power pack recently, changed out my DPF filter and cooling system, new injector harness (Freightliners have this annoying issue with the injector harness leaking oil and having the oil seep down into the ECM - not a preferred behavior).

All of these repairs have solved the hesitating/misfiring for a few days, a week, then it creeps back. Can anyone offer some trucker wisdom for me? I could really be happier without this irritating, recurring problem.

Note: When the truck is mis-behaving, it'll blow smoke from the stack when it misfires, and it occasionally pops out of the stack, and a blows a small cloud when that happens. When it's misbehaving, it's really crappy, jerky and erratic at slow speed operations, loading/uncoupling, parking lot, fuel island, so on. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Old school 362

Old school 362 Medium Load Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Pensacola Fl
    You might have an injector sticking. Or rather a lose injector wire. On my old Cat I run a quart on tranny fluid in each tank. Better then other stuff on shelf. For lose wire check each injector connector.

Starboyjim Thanks this.
  4. Starboyjim

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    Just had a power pack (6 new injectors) installed. Was perfect for about a week or two, Old School. I still think that's involved. It seems to happen more during a passive regen?

5. Starboyjim

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    Yes, Pete, still having the issue. Truck has been running well for about a week, and I'm home now for a while, working on my rental unit, which was trashed by some trashy people. Again, dang it.

My problem is tough for shop staff. Intermittent, doesn't throw any codes, kind of a pain.

What's your interest, if I may ask? J

6. jeffman164

jeffman164 Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    I have a 2003 Cat that does the same thing but on a smaller scale . No codes showing ever .

7. Starboyjim

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    I'm happy for you, Pete, and I'll watch for your news. However, I'm still looking for my cause. Funny, the last 4 days I was running, on my way to Rio Rancho (home) truck purred like a kitten. I keep hoping something fell or was pushed into place and the ol' DD60 will be content to run good for a while.

8. Ker

Ker Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2018
    The same thing is happening on my Detroit 60 14L. It only happens on certain routes and on these routes I get fuel from a certain truck stop. I've started doubting that this might be the problem-bad fuel. Can any of you guys tell me where do you buy fuel?

9. Ker

Ker Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2018
    Guys, I think i know what the problem is.

This crossed my mind when my truck started misfiring today while I was going to Georgia (which I do once a year ) then I remembered that the same thing started happening at the same spot after fueling at the same truck stop (south of Nashville) last year.

Buy the fuel at the different truck stop and please update here if it worked.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.