Occupational noise exposure of operators of heavy trucks

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by camionneur, Oct 1, 2016.

1. camionneur

camionneur Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Orange it is.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. camionneur

Oct 18, 2013
    And from the DOT:

How Trucks Affect Traffic Noise
    [​IMG]
    One truck at 55 miles per hour sounds as loud as
    28 cars at 55 miles per hour

That was 32 cars in 1980, so I guess trucks got a little quieter.

4. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I see cement truck drivers wearing ear muffs quite often.

jimbo47, Mike2633 and camionneur Thank this.
  5. camionneur

Oct 18, 2013
    Yeah I'm always rolling up the window, or wishing I had, when a dump truck approaches at high speed or uphill. I think those get well into the 100s on the sound meter.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
  7. camionneur

Oct 18, 2013
    Had to wear my hard hat for that one. :violent1:

8. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    So you are telling me running with both windows down and the Jakes on full is a bad thing?

[​IMG]

I've already had some hearing loss. There is no way I could do my job safely with ear protection.

j_martell Thanks this.
  9. camionneur

Oct 18, 2013
    So you can't drive with the windows up? I was thinking maybe if a bird flew in there, I'd be covered. :toothy2:

10. Ke6gwf

Ke6gwf Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Napa Valley /Yreka CA
    I have always carried the Christmas tree looking corded silicone earplugs. Uhh, 3m I think?
    Yellow with a blue cord

They are easy to put in, and you can adjust how far you shove them in to control how much they reduce the noise, and being on a cord makes them easy to set down and then pick back up again.

In any loud vehicle for very long, I use them.

I also have a pair of ear buds with a similar silicon Christmas tree seal that work almost as well, and sometimes I use them for hearing protection, with out being plugged in to anything (and sometimes in the ancient 80's freightshaker c/o I used to drive, it was the only way I could have a phone call! Both ears stuffed in tight, and the left side cord draped over my right ear so the microphone was directly by my mouth to yell into... I don't recommend this, but I also don't recommend driving that truck! Lol ;)

So yes, if it feels loud, save your hearing, grab some earplugs, and turn the radio up a bit. (I am also a sound engineer, so my hearing is important to me, and everybody else at the concert! ;) )

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    camionneur and ShooterK2 Thank this.
  11. camionneur

Oct 18, 2013
    Sound engineering, right. I had both windows down with the ear muffs on as I was listening to opera last night. I think it's about the same between muffling the radio as having wind and vehicle noise drown it out as much. Except it's better for the hearing to muffle all of that, in the long run. I can hear myself whisper with them on (or a singer whisper at full volume). It's really a misconception that this would make driving unsafe at all. I've noticed that I feel calmer with them on, so what they say about loud noise raising the heart rate is probably true for me (also didn't get drowsy on a long shift, like I sometimes do, so they may be safer in such a way, I'll have to compare notes on this long term). So far so good.

These are 23 NRR muffs I'm talking about, which are about as big as I'd want to wear, and are suitable for the excess environmental noise in a vehicle (the higher rated ones get to be double the size for less than 10 decibels further reduction, and the ear plugs tend to be higher noise reduction by comparison, and lower key obviously). The cool thing about muffs with a hard hat is that they hold it in place without having to have the suspension head band tightened down, so it's actually more comfortable than a baseball cap with a headlamp, and better in the rain too (of course, I mainly wear it for stooping under trailers, which can be sharp edged, but it could help in the event of an accident as well). I also added reflectors around it which are as bright as a safety vest in the dark, and am being sent a complimentary set of integrated safety glass/shades from 3M to test out, so it serves several purposes for me (except I'm getting that WTF look from everyone, if not questioned directly, well I guess they'll get used to it too, it's just funny to me that people think PPE has to be mandatory to be anywhere near normal behavior). Not trying to sell anyone on this idea, by the way, just saying it makes more sense than it may seem at a glance. I don't know, it's an especially strange situation, as I could be dressed up in full neon from neck to toe (or even throw a hat in there), and it would seem less questionable to others than my wearing this headgear alone. :dontknow: Well, some places require truckers to have a hard hat on the premises, so it isn't just me. I'll take the hit though, no problem. :banghead:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.