Occupational noise exposure of operators of heavy trucks

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by camionneur, Oct 1, 2016.

1. camionneur

camionneur Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Whatever works, I wouldn't say they are necessarily cheaper over time, and don't find the ear plugs all that comfy or convenient, as far as taking them in and out several times a day (or doing that as fast), and wouldn't want to block out the maximum noise possible, for this purpose. The muffs also double as ear muffs, of course, in cold weather (could be a little toasty in the sun though, I'm in a moderate climate most of the time). I wear some kind of hat either way, to hold a head lamp, and might as well make it more multipurpose (now it's a headlight, safety vest, vented rain hat, bump cap, ear protection/warmers, and eye protection/shades, could also be used for communication, but I don't play phone tag much... eight reasons, still).

Speaking of which, I tried the integrated safety eyewear, mentioned earlier, and it's something I'll use more often than expected. The shades are useful to flip down, even at night, when there are extra bright lights approaching in either direction, or standard lights on an incline, an obnoxious billboard, road work spotlight, &c (better than holding one hand up to block them, or the whole arm to get the window and mirror covered, for brights in both directions).
    [​IMG]
    Not quite as cool as the automated kind (practically the same thing in effect). I wouldn't say the integrated safety shades are cheap, compared to what's at a hardware store, since they only seem to sell them in boxes of 20! Well, if I plan to use them for several hours a day, that could be a lifetime supply. Otherwise, it's best to use glasses with the thinnest/flatest earpieces available, so they don't prop open the muffs.

This is a good comparison though for people who think they can't hear with ear protection, do you also think you can't see with sunglasses? It's the same concept...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. breadtrk

breadtrk Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2015
  4. camionneur

Oct 18, 2013
  5. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    On that note, when I buy my truck, I'll be putting several thousand watts of power into the sound system. Volbeat, A7X, and 5FDP just don't sound right at low volume....

6. DeadArmadillo

DeadArmadillo Light Load Member

Oct 4, 2013
    Republic of Texas
    ......and for the ladies......

camionneur Thanks this.
  7. camionneur

Oct 18, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    Reason for edit: lol
  8. camionneur

Oct 18, 2013
    Actually the headgear almost saved me from a serious icecream headache this winter. As a tanker passed by me and my window was open, a huge chunk of ice and snow flew off the top of it and smashed against my front windshield. If that had happened a second earlier, it would have hit the side of my head. So yeah, the ppe is good for flying debris in general, not just if a disoriented bird comes out of nowhere. :biggrin_25524:

9. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    Excellent thread. Don't know how i missed it earlier. I have been concerned about my hearing since I was in my 20's working in a noisy industrial environment( stone quarry) and noticed the short term hearing loss if ear plugs weren't used. I am also a musician, so very important.
    I have been using bell shaped foam ear plugs since 1985. Here is my favorite brand:
    http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/max

33 db reduction, never had a problem still being aware of necessary sounds( sirens, horns, mechanical issues etc). Have no idea what the legals are, I take them out before interaction with the authorities.
    Here is the huge upside I realized after regular use. Not only is my hearing better than most 64 year olds, but the sound reduction also contributes to a reduction in driving fatigue. If I wear the ear plugs most of the day I have no problem putting in a 600 mile+ day. Without them I am fatigued much earlier.

camionneur and not4hire Thank this.
  10. camionneur

Oct 18, 2013
    I've also seen people wearing custom molded ear plugs (like these) lately.

11. Volvo8873

Volvo8873 Light Load Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Western Wisconsin
    I am actually enjoying the hearing loss as I get older. Less whining and crying I hear.

not4hire and camionneur Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.