Odd sleep apnea question

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Vilhiem, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Vilhiem

Vilhiem Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Alright so, I have a question for those of you who are being treated with sleep apnea. (Or if you know the answer.)

Today I submitted my data to the company that monitors my compliance...

I found out, and I was happy about this, that they now had proof that my complaints were real. I've been having minor heartburn (linkable to diet, but not always), inability to sleep, headache in the morning, raccoon eyes, high blood pressure and most importantly... Not a restful night's rest!

Apparently my data showed that not only was I frequently waking at night, but I was waking more often than I realized. Essentially this is the reason I'm having to stop and take naps during the day and my ### is dragging by the end of the week.

However, their data also shows that this isn't due to the machine. In fact, I've no leaks, no apneas, no nothing to suggest it's the machine. I'm not even hitting the high end of my pressure. (7-12)

So I'm at a loss... I thought for quite some time that it was the machine or a misdiagnosis. Since I have the machine and have to use it, I want it to work. But when I don't use the machine I can sleep for 10-13 hours uninterrupted. (This is at the end of the week when I go home with my ### dragging)

I feel rested when I sleep without the machine, and I don't wake.

Normally I would just deal with it and fight it as chances came available... But I'm waking up so much according to my cpap machine that some nights I'm not actually getting more than a couple hours of sleep. This, as well as skipping a day or two when I have time so I can really get some rest, has cause me to be listed out of compliance...

I have tried using the machine night after night, not only am I dragging myself around but my mood is affected in a bad way. Plus all the other stuff I mentioned before is worse. I put up with it for a month and a half until I adopted 5.5 days on, 1.5 days off rule. It helps some, but I'm still dragging my butt around by week's end and my mood turns really sour.

Aside from using it all the time, which I'm going to have to do but I sincerely hope it doesn't affect my ability to drive, what can I do?

They suggested going to see another doctor as they suspect there is something else going on. So has anyone else encountered this?

Any suggestions as to what kind of doctor to see?

Bottom line is this... I'd love to be off the machine, but I like this job enough to try and comply. My fear is that since I'm not getting the rest I need, I'm going to hurt or kill someone. So if I have to use it, I want it to work!

(P.S. They somehow confirmed it wasn't just "new user" complaints.)

Big Don and dca Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Vilhiem

Oct 6, 2014
    I'm also not uneducated about sleep apnea. I've surprised the people who monitor compliance a few times by knowing what I do and understanding the causes, diagnose and how the machine works.

At the moment though...my right foot is stuck between two rocks and my left is stuck in cement...

Big Don and dca Thank this.
  4. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    If I slept best with out it,
    I know what I'd do

average joe and Vilhiem Thank this.
  5. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    finding a job without the machine would be my move

tnt440 and Vilhiem Thank this.
  6. Vilhiem

Oct 6, 2014
    Grand idea except im kinda stuck with it if I go either job route that I know I'll like... Pilot or trucking. Leaves the medical field and a butt-load of money to pay back post-degree...

Except I kinda need this job to do that. Heh...

If I had my druthers I'd be a pilot, but their restrictions are worse than ours.

Been interested in biomedical engineering for years, but I've no idea how I'd enjoy it as a job. Especially since I don't do well standing or sitting behind a desk. My hands have to be involved and my brain engaged constantly.

...otherwise...well... I make my own fun that many don't find so funny. :p

Plus, if there is an underlying medical condition that either:

A). Gets me off the machine
    Or
    B). Helps someone else with the same stuff going on... (Unfortunately Google is of little help here. Most cpap forums call it, "newbie syndrome" and they are happy with it.)

tucker and dca Thank this.
  7. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    Yah gotta do what yah gotta do .. BUT .
    I would siggest to stop taking those kind of loans in the mean time, that must be uncomfortable to say the least.

My schedule arrives with load . adjust

8. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Im thinking that somethings wrong with the c - pap machine, mask, or something else is wrong with you.

9. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    First of all, was it a company doctor who sent you to a company specific sleep study who then sold you the company specified machine with company backed financing?

I'd be looking hard at a second opinion from a REPUTABLE sleep center.

10. BeanDip

BeanDip Medium Load Member

Dec 28, 2014
    S.W Michigan
    I agree with Bulldog. I'd get a second opinion. Maybe you don't suffer from sleep apnea.

Big Don and Vilhiem Thank this.
  11. Vilhiem

Oct 6, 2014
    You would be correct with that assumption, I never had a symptom of OSA. However I come from a medical background and know that being symptomless isn't that uncommon if the case is mild. Not defending them mind you, but I will admit to having a double agenda in mind.

The company sni uses is PPD, pulmonary precision diagnostics. There's something skeezy about the company, I can feel it in my bones. But one person having a feeling isn't enough.

At this point, I'm going to assume there's something wrong with me. It's actually a fair assumption. What that means is if this was a misdiagnosis and forced treatment for the wrong thing...it's a lawsuit. I care nothing about the money, but more the impact it will have. Two, it means there's something wrong with me that I want found out and fixed.

Also, dca, i don't have any loans to pay back. Just stating that if I go the route that requires no cpap machine, I'd need a loan to pay for the schooling. Biomed ain't cheap. It isn't as bad as becoming a medical doctor, but it can range from 30-50k. (Granted, in the right area of that field I would make more than I would driving this rig.)

Big Don Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.