Off Duty PTI?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Meltom, Sep 15, 2011.

1. ThatFlatbedGuy2013

ThatFlatbedGuy2013 Medium Load Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Somewhere in the US of A
    If it's lessthan 7.5 minutes. It needs to be flagged if over logged. Only ahandful of states want it to be longer than 7.5 minutes. Also a state can add to fed laws so long switch does not take away from them.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Which states want it to be more than 7.5 minutes?

123456 Thanks this.
  4. Scalemaster

Scalemaster Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Midwest
    Nowhere in the regulations do I find where it says how long a pre-trip should take, but 392.7 requires you to inspect the following items:

392.7(a) No commercial motor vehicle shall be driven unless the driver is satisfied that the following parts and accessories are in good working order:
    - Service brakes, including trailer brake connections.
    - Parking (hand) brake.
    - Steering mechanism.
    - Lighting devices and reflectors.
    - Tires.Horn.
    - Windshield wiper or wipers.
    - Rear-vision mirror or mirrors.
    - Coupling devices.

"Flagging" may be done with any short change of duty status under 15 minutes, if it includes the time spent.
    395.8 interpretations
    Question 1: How should a change of duty status for a short period of time be shown on the driver’s record of duty status?

Guidance: Short periods of time (less than 15 minutes) may be identified by drawing a line from the appropriate on-duty (not driving) or driving line to the remarks section and entering the amount of time, such as “6 minutes,” and the geographic location of the duty status change.

You are going to have to help me find the "7.5 minute rule" you are talking about. Where is that?

Meltom Thanks this.
  5. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    My company has us log both pre and post trips. I split things up. Check things like tires, brakes, fluids, airlines, anything that might take and extended time to repair on the post trip and items I can replace in a pinch like lights or do quickly like tire pressures.

6. ThatFlatbedGuy2013

Feb 4, 2013
    Somewhere in the US of A
    You won't find it anywhere in it, as the time required varies by state to state and is not regulated by the Feds. You'd have to refer to state CMV laws. The 15 minutes is for paper logs as time is measured in quarters. but if you run off a QUALCOMM, it will log anything over 7 minutes. States can add/improve Federal law at their own will so long as it does not take away from Federal Law.

Although, now that it is asked, you are best off asking the local DOT there how long they require a pre-trip to be.

7. ThatFlatbedGuy2013

Feb 4, 2013
    Somewhere in the US of A
    Yeah. I usually just do a 15 minutes to be on the safe side though if I absolutely need to leave ASAP I'll just flag and go.

8. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    I usually show 15 mins on a pretrip unless I and 15 on a post trip only time I don't is when I screw up and forget to actually log the post trip then I'll just flag. But at the beginning of the week I never have time to just flag and go specially in the winter. Took an hour for the #### truck to heat up last friday idling at 1200...and it took 3 seconds between the first crank and the second that was one cold cat...and thank god the EPA wasn't there had more smoke rolling out of them stacks than the old steel factorys up in PA for a good 5 minutes.

9. truckersjustice

truckersjustice Light Load Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Burnsville, MN
    392.7 and 396.13 require a pre-trip inspection. Technically speaking 396.11 does not require a post-trip inspection, but it only requires a post-trip report.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.