Ohio I-90 Accident

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Mike2633, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Ohio used to you red and blue Federal Signal Vista Lightbars with an amber directional then in 2011 they switched over to all blue LEDs and shortly after that not all but a lot of local agencies in Ohio started going over to all blue. Now for what ever reason Bay Village Ohio and Cleveland Heights Ohio were all blue lights even way back when, because back in the day 97% of the agencies were red and blue. Piquiway County Sherif they were to my knowledge the only Ohio agencie to use all Red Light Bars and geeze probably early 2000s they started phasing those units out. There aren't any left now .

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Do you remember CHP used to run what was called a solid burn light you could see it from very far away.

Big Don Thanks this.
  4. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    I remember when OSP started buying white Crown Vics because they wanted to be more visible.

5. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    They had those in upstate NY, too. Not sure if they still do, but I was glad they did because at the time I was in an ungoverned truck, out there tryin to "be somebody"!

6. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Indiana State Police did the same thing after a few accidents involving cruisers getting hit because of their dark colored paintjobs at night(they used to be dark blue or a shade of taupe).

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    People who are seriously distracted will literally become part of what is consuming them.

I used to manage traffic around linemen and their crews once upon a time as we sortied out to many places to replace destroyed poles, gas lines etc in areas where traffic is a problem. Add lights of emergency, police and better yet a covered over body the traffic is thoroughly destroyed until the visual distractions are removed and the scene cleared. People gave driven themselves into cars or state DOT trucks protecting workers and such because they must for some reason fill their eyes with the distraction.

Big Don Thanks this.
  8. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Yeah, ALL emergency vehicles are required to have at least one solid burning red light towards the front. This started out as case law, before being codified. There was an individual, that was able to convince an idiotic judge, that the ONLY reason he didn't pull over and stop, was because he didn't see the red light on the cop car. He speculated that it must have been a situation where every time he checked his rear view mirror the light must have been cycling off.:rolleyes:
    Only in California would that ever fly.....:confused:

Mike2633 and tucker Thank this.
  9. Longarm

Longarm Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Heard on my way home today that the driver will face Vehicular Manslaughter charges.

I thought some of you might like to know.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  10. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Yes they did in 2003 they got rid of the old slate color car, with the Whelen Strobe bars that was old school, because someone got hit and they thought the slate color didn't show up as good. Now they went over to Silver.

11. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013
    When I was an Ohio State Trooper we used all red visabars..this was in the 70's.
    We had these problems then too.

The truckers in those days used to see how close they could get to us...called it "dusting"..

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.