Oil additive question

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Dickeyroberts, May 15, 2014.

1. Dickeyroberts

Dickeyroberts Light Load Member

Feb 23, 2014
    I read something on the Internet awhile ago and it appeared to be a release of from volvo stating that you should not use any kind of oil additives in volvo engines! It said will cause damage to engine. Does anybody know if this is true? I wanted to put that hot shots stiction eliminator in my ved12.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. d281833

d281833 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2012
    With oil being what it is now you shouldn't be putting any additives in, it's all propaganda.

KB3MMX and Dickeyroberts Thank this.
  4. stocktonhauler

stocktonhauler Medium Load Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Stockton, C
    There are two problems with any additives from what I've been told: 1) the sticky Lucas gear display you see is bogus and not meaningful. Oil needs to be thin, so that the gears can drive through it with less friction. So, oil additives can actually reduce fuel efficiency as the motor must push the gears through the thick Lucas stuff. Want to spend money? Use Synthetic Oil, which are OK by the manufacturer. 2) Fuel additives create ash after burning. So, they tend to screw up your SCR/DPF emissions system. Winter fuel has more additives, reducing fuel economy, and raising levels of ash left in the DPF. My Volvo has 2 free flow, 1 bypass oil filters, and a great recirculation system with two fuel filters. Let the filters do their work, and change them periodically.

Dickeyroberts and d281833 Thank this.
  5. Dickeyroberts

Dickeyroberts Light Load Member

Feb 23, 2014
    What you say makes sense with the Lucas, the stuff I want to use has about the same thickness as oil. It's supposed to clean the oil side of your injectors. Just wanna know if anyone knows if it will hurt the motor. Supposedly volvo says not to put any additives in.

6. d281833

d281833 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2012
    So then why would you?

Johny41 and KB3MMX Thank this.
  7. Sumeru

Sumeru Bobtail Member

Apr 13, 2016
    Hi
    So... have you tried the stuff you wanted to use?
    I found this topic while looking for someone who tried atomium motor additive.
    I was offered today to test it for free on my truck.:cool:
    Google says it is europian stuff.
    And I didn't find anyone who used it in America

Johny41 Thanks this.
  8. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I have 1,632,558 miles on my D13 2008, no inframe yet, I replaced camshaft and injectors twice. I use Shell Rottela T6 5w40 synthetic only , never added any oil additive.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  9. Yves kanevil

Yves kanevil Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Nighthawk
    You wanna throw away your money buying additives. Don't do it. I'd be glad to take your money if you really need to get rid of it

Johny41 Thanks this.
  10. sbaumann14

sbaumann14 Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Rhinelander, WI
    got over 1.5 on my 05 D12. original injectors and turbo. Delvac every 12k. no need to add that other crap

Johny41 and KB3MMX Thank this.
  11. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Just a quick note to correct info, winter fuel is lower BTU content(energy) due to being heavily D1 blended. That lower btu content is what lowers mileage in diesels.
    AFAIK the ONLY diesel additives that don't create ash, actually reduce it are glycol ether & 2Ethylhexynitrate (2EHN).
    2EHN is the chemical that increases Cetane rating in diesel in its bare form....which reduces DPF soot/ash loading.
    The glycol ether chemical is used in FPPFs "diesel power" additive...and others. It's great at emulsion for removing trapped water from the fuel system but normally I don't support any diesel water emulsion products.

**** I completely agree with AVOIDING all of the Lucas oil "stabilizing" products.They are simply a heavy base oil to thicken your oil. It has NO TBN enhancer, NO anti wear additives(ZDDP), NO detergent, NO dispersants and NO anti-foam package. .....as a note, you should see how horribly the Lucas foams in engine oil under use. Air makes a terrible lube BTW, LOL !!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
    Johny41 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.