oil pump/Detroit engine failure on 2013 Freightliner - ADVICE NEEDED!

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by daytonaoh, Mar 10, 2015.

1. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    Spot on!kent-moore makes a special tool to prime DD13/15 oil system before starting after oil change.If you don't have tool,you must change oil/fuel filters one at a time or you will starve crank bearings of oil.Detroit put out TSB's regarding this known,common issue.It was not a bad oil pump.

daytonaoh and BoxCarKidd Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    I have changed both filters at once many times on dd15. all you need to do is 3-4 minute priming with hand pump. your engine will start after flywheel's 5th-6th turn.

4. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    This is true, DD15 have a very sensitive shutdown system, did they have trouble starting it and run it with the override switch or run it on ether to get pressures up to where it wouldn't shut down. They might not have filled the oil filters before installing.

I say the shop screwed it up, may take legal help to get them to pay, the shop has insurance, file against it and get a full investigation started.

traderpats and daytonaoh Thank this.
  5. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    prime oil system ? or fuel system ? I just checked kent-moore catalog and did not see that tool.

6. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    Dear Old men the gentleman who started this thread does not know what exactly happened to the engine. He tells his problem very general. The engine busted up and the dealer told bla bla bla,,,, We have seized dd15 two mount a go. the dealer told the driver that he needs a new engine. We took off the air compressor and started the engine... the air compressor was seized.

7. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    good idea. Also i would check it to see there was any low oil pressure related history code .

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  8. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Maybe they tried to start it before they put the oil in, wouldn't be the first time it happened.

9. daytonaoh

daytonaoh Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2013
    I will try to get the engine codes report and post here. As far as I know, there were no low oil codes. It is unlikely that they could have: 1) started the truck before putting oil in it, 2) putting the wrong type of engine oil, or 3) forgetting to unwrap filters (all of this was suggested as possibilities - thankfully the driver was watching the work, and can ascertain that these types of gross mistakes did not take place. The technician did measure the engine oil four times with a dipstick, according to that shop's policy, and some of this was done in the presence of the driver.

Thanks all for giving some ideas and suggestions, it is definitely very helpful. What sucks is that the engine is not covered by the standard warranty after 2 years, and the oil change place is so far refusing to admit its mistakes. Short of courts, how does one go about such a scenario? How to find out who is the insurance company of that place?

10. daytonaoh

daytonaoh Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2013
  11. daytonaoh

daytonaoh Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2013
    FreightlinerTruckOilChangeGoneWrong2015.jpg

Here's the clarification from the service manager of Freightliner dealership: "The oil pump was not the primary failed part. There is bearing material in the pickup screen and throughout the crankcase. The oil pump locked up as a result of the metal fragments."

"Unfortunately the damage to the oil pump was a result of bearing failure or foreign material that caused bearing failure."

So the question is - if this is not a manufacturer's defect (which it is not), it is not due to harsh environment, and is not the mistake of the driver, how could the oil service station do this damage? Forgetting to dip the filter into oil? Forgetting some metallic part inside somehow? I enclose the image of what fluids, tests the oil change place did to the truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.