oil pump/Detroit engine failure on 2013 Freightliner - ADVICE NEEDED!

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by daytonaoh, Mar 10, 2015.

1. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. daytonaoh

daytonaoh Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2013
    The one referenced in this thread by one of the members. I could not find it. It refers to a certain sequence that an oil change must be done. He didn't provide more details.

4. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    I really don't know what to say. I can't imagine how could it happen. (((((

5. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
  6. daytonaoh

daytonaoh Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2013
    It looks like it, but it is from 2011, whereas our truck is 2013. I'd think older TSBs don't apply to newer engines.

7. Albertcarr

Albertcarr Bobtail Member

May 24, 2016
    My name is Albert I had a much similar situation with my truck. Can you please call me at 239-269-6009. I need some advise also. [
    QUOTE="daytonaoh, post: 4498062, member: 121526"]a low-mileage 2013 Freightliner was serviced by a major oil change franchise, with all oils and filters changed or topped off. The truck was deemed in tip-top condition. But within minutes of leaving the shop's location its Detroit engine blew up. The Freightliner dealer's technicians inspected the truck, and determined that the most likely cause of engine failure was oil pump's failure. At the same time, they also stated that the oil pump (and the engine) did not have any recalls and did not have any manufacturer's defects. Since the truck is fairly new, low-mileage, and did not have any problems before being serviced, yet after service had the catastrophic failure, it appears to be solely the fault of the oil change franchise.

Who has had similar experience at any oil shop franchise and what are the suggestions in dealing with the situation?

Also, who knows how could an oil change and other basic maintenance ruin the oil pump in a Detroit engine?

Meanwhile, what can the engine codes reveal? As far as I understand they are useless, as they can't pin the blame on anyone - they just show if this or that failed.

Thanks for all advice.[/QUOTE]

8. Star4900

Star4900 Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    This is very true. My local dealer lost a few engines before there was a service bulletin issued from Detroit.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.