oil sample result - oxidation up

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by rollin coal, Jul 29, 2016.

1. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Oxidation is up in this sample. What does that mean? It was 101 this most recent sample 13 in the previous then 27 prior to that and 20 before that one. The report says it is up and other readings are normal, to continue sampling at normal intervals (12,000 miles). The only thing different this time from previous oil samples was a different brand of oil and a lot of periods of extended, excessive idling (@ 1,000 rpms) to stay comfortable on rest breaks due to hot temperatures.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SmokinCAT

SmokinCAT Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Hillsboro, OH./ Adrian, MI
    I would say it is from a combination of summer temps and increased idle, I believe soot build up has a direct relation to the oxidation due to increased acidity in the oil.

Oxbow and truckthatpassesyouby Thank this.
  4. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Found this online...not sure exactly what it means in regards to truck engines

"Oil Oxidation • Occurs when oxygen attacks petroleum fluids. The process is accelerated by heat, light, metal catalysts and the presence of water, acids, or solid contaminants. It leads to increased viscosity and deposit formation."

AModelCat Thanks this.
  5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Yep. Oxidation is just that, oxygen breaking down the oil. Hotter oil temperatures will do that. Could be due to this new oil you're using. May have a lower resistance to oxidation.

truckthatpassesyouby Thanks this.
  6. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Now that you mention it my oil temps have been a tad elevated due to these high ambient temps in the southeast lately. Normally that oil temp needle will always ride at the 175* mark. When it's really hot with a load on and the sun beating down it'll be around 185* or up and down from 175-185*.

I use a fan to bring it down or keep it from going higher, to help control oil temps. Climbing Monteagle going west it will hit 200* with the fan on. I use the fan to pull that down. It takes it a while after cresting the top. But yeah, oil temps have been a tad higher. Nothing abnormal though.

And you are exactly right I did recently switch from Napa 15w40 to Traveller 15w40. In fact I bought about 15 buckets of the Traveller on sale. My oil temps always react this same way every summer. But I have never seen elevated oxidation.

If it continues with the next sample I might be taking that oil back to Tractor Supply for a refund and get more of the Napa on sale. If continually elevated oxidation is detrimental to the engine? Napa was good oil never any issues. And I can call CAT about these samples but honestly the answers from several of you guys in here are more detailed and to a point than what their lab people usually say. Crazy but true.

7. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    I have never been to concerned over an individual oil sample, I would pull another one at 5000 mile and compare.

That being said, you may be seeing the breakdown of a poor quality oil. I know you are a smart guy @rollin coal, but I have always questioned how you choose to buy your oil.

Cowpie1 and gokiddogo Thank this.
  8. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Well it just hasn't ever made a difference before. I ran Rotella for a long time then I switched to Napa. I had a high soot sample once a year or two ago. Or maybe I've had high soot 2 times in the past few years. Then the next sample checked out ok. Yeah I'm not panicked over 1 sample. But maybe it turns out you guys are right about oil after all. I'll go back to Napa again if that's the case. They have a sale on it every 2 or 3 months anyways. It was good oil. It just wasn't on sale when I ran out.

9. Largecar359

Largecar359 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Personally, I would get rid of the traveller. The cost difference is pennies compared to motor work. Although, you need to consider the very high humidity we have had this summer on the east coast. The air has been wet and heavy all summer. Def contributes to the oxidation.

10. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    RCs truck can ask, what is Def?

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  11. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Yeah lol. I thought he meant short for definitely though.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.