Oilfield work in the San Antonio area with only 3 months experience possible?

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by TheDudeAbides, Apr 24, 2015.

1. gdyupgal

gdyupgal Medium Load Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Montana/Watford City,ND
    Yep still hangn in there...it is Condinsate...Nabor/C&J only hauls Conoco leases.. we are still in the beginning of being C&J & really have no clue what if any changes will take place...Oil $ drop has affected everyone but so far so good we're still real busy...& we just got 25 or so new Petes w/trailers but all were autos except 5 & so far I've been able to keep my 13 sp same truck for 2 1/2 yrs

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ben Gunn

Ben Gunn Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Forgotten Coast
    I sent you a PM

gdyupgal Thanks this.
  4. 31N90W

31N90W Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Ditto re looking on Craigslist...............

I am in the Odessa area and want to move to San Antonio (visited that city and fell in love with it)........... so I have been looking on Craigslist with EXCELLENT results. Yes, things are slow, it might take you a tad longer with only 3 months of experience, but keep looking, don't give up, and try this...........

"Most companies now request/require that you apply on line, but, after you do, look around in the web site for the "Contact Us" tab, and send them an email letting them know that you are interested, attach your resume, then a few days later, call the HR Manager (who hies drivers) and talk to them."

My point is don't just apply on line and forget it, write to them (email) then call them............ I suggest that strategy will get better results..........

31N90W

5. TheDudeAbides

TheDudeAbides Medium Load Member

Dec 5, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Thanks, yeah I'm better face to face and thought I might even take it a step further to drop off my application to some of these places once I get some time home. Better get my resume updated.

6. OnTheEdge

OnTheEdge Light Load Member

Jun 25, 2012
    My first post to the forums so I hope I can provide some usable info to a fellow San Antonioan.

Suncoast, is almost always hiring. Often for fuel but I had a friend just quite there because he wasn't getting enough hours. He was making around 800$ a week.

Dupree, I believe they have a yard some where on 87 between 410 and 1604. I see them all the time in Karnes City. I don't know if they hire newer drivers but they had an ad in the Beeville paper looking for driver experience not specified.

Reynolds Nationwide, also on 87 in the same direction as Dupree. They have both oil and milk I believe out of that yard. The oil they require 1 year last I heard the milk is supposed to be a run up to AZ or NM and back do your 10 in SA and back again. That's what I was told when I looked at them.

Texas Energy, in Three Rivers. If you don't mind a man camp and very few hours as of right now they hired me straight out of school. They gave me my start and I'm glad they did. I liked working there because the work was different & interesting most of the time.

Key Energy is in Three Rivers also, I don't know much about them.

Green Energy has a yard in Three Rivers and I think Gonzales. I had a friend work there as a dispatcher at the time they where alright. With the slow down I can't say how any company hauling water or service work is doing.

Those would be either crude or water/service work for the oil field and all would require HazMat. But are mainly tanker work.

MultiChem, they have a yard in Three Rivers that I know of maybe some other places not sure. This would be more like a route job as I understand. Load your truck with various chem's and deliver them... end of your day. Job posting for them are on the Halliburton site under other companies or something along those lines.

Fuel Delivery, there are several in SA/Austin that do this I understand the pay is ok ( not great considering the work) but that would be something to look at as well.

Since you posted this Oilfield I'll leave out some of the others but will mention a couple options I'm looking into and I'm sure all catch some ..... for

Scheinders IC program, having read most of dieselfuelonly threads I am considering a move to something like this or the tanker division.

I have a friend who was hauling crude who will finish the training on the tanker side as an O/O, IC, L/O (what every you chose to call them, they pay all there own bills sounds like an O/O to me) in about 5 day's. I am going to see how he does. I don't want to go t the tanker unless they change over to the choice option which I hear is August so we'll see.

I am also looking at Farm2Fleet and some others that would require my own authority.

Currently, I haul crude and I will tell you talking to our yard manager 7-8 months ago he was having a hard time just getting applicates now he is swapped with apps. This is a sign of the times in my opinion and I think it will be a tough haul for drivers in the oil field as companies combine/disappear. In the past year I have seen truck traffic in the area I work fall to the point I can drive between Whitsett and Helena on 99 with almost no slow down at all a few months ago this wasn't the case.

All the Best

TheDudeAbides and d o g Thank this.
  7. 31N90W

31N90W Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Someone commented.............., "I will tell you talking to our yard manager 7-8 months ago he was having a hard time just getting applicates now he is swapped with apps", and that about sums up the status quo. Yes, it has slowed down.

But, I contend that one can still find CDL driving positions (in the oil & gas sector); you just have to look around longer, and be more flexible. The tide has changed, and most outfits now have more than enough applicants. When I came out here (to West Texas) 19 months ago, employers were desperate for warm bodies.

So, I suggest that if you are looking for a CDL position, be creative, flexible, and more aggressive than the other guy (or gal), in your application process. I suggest the following:

1. Craigslist is an excellent resource. I am trying to move to the San Antonio area and had three (3) job offers, all from Craigslist. ** (see footnote below)

2. This very forum has a jobs board, and I get emails every few days with a list of CDL jobs available in the San Antonio area, not all are in oil & gas, but it provides leads.

3. The Texas Job Bank is a good resource for listings.

4. Job Fairs: both of the last 2 jobs that I took, I obtained by attending Job Fairs (both job fairs were listed on the Rig Zone web site). There will be a Rig Zone Job Fair in San Antonio in September, but I have noticed the number of recruiters in attendance dropping steadily at the Job Fairs. But, as I said, my last two (and only 2) CDL jobs in oil and gas trucking, I got at job fairs.

Most places want you to apply on line. So be it, but I also attach (scanned) a copy of my CDL, DOT Physical, TWIC, H2S card, cover letter, and resume. Why? My logic is that my (and your) application is going to only be looked at for about 5-10 seconds before a decision is made. So, I want to get as much "air time" in front of the reviewer as possible. If they have (a copy of) my CDL, DOT Physical, TWIC, H2S card, cover letter, and resume attached to my application, it gives them more to read, and, those are documents that they will ask for in time anyway. I later follow up with an email, and a phone call. Maybe I have not had luck in finding work, it is that I am more aggressive, organized, and show more interest than those who just send in an application and sit back and wait.

**I mentioned that I want to get to work/live in the San Antonio area. I am from a large city and am not into the Rural Life......, that said, I took a job in Pecos. I switched from a Vacuum Truck to hauling crude oil. In 6 months I will have 2 years experience, 6 of which will be in crude oil transport. I think that will give me the credentials to get a postition with a better outfit, and in the general San Antonio area. So for the next 6 months I'll tough it out in the Pecos area.

Lastly, please know that many outfits now require 1 year (or sometimes more) of experience before they might consider you, but, many also consider that you attended a state approved driving school in lew of the requisite one-two years experience. So, if attended an accredited driving school, waive that in front of the recruiter.

Best Wishes to all..........

P.S. Could not locate the "spellcheck button" so please ignore any typos.......

31N90W

8. TheDudeAbides

TheDudeAbides Medium Load Member

Dec 5, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Wow, thanks for all the very specific info. Ive gotten transferred to the next best thing doing a dedicated/regional type run pulling HEB trailers doing store runs all over the state but home nightly and 2 days off a week so I'm gonna get that full year of experience in before I start applying and maybe by then things will be picking up a bit. I feel like pulling 57' trailers in all the city locations and small, tight stores should count for something!

machinegunner_240 Thanks this.
  9. 31N90W

31N90W Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Glad I could be of assistance. And, don't believe any false rumors unless you hear them from me.....

31n90w

10. machinegunner_240

machinegunner_240 Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2015
    Do NOT work for Stevens! I went through their CDL school and training program for OTR reefers. After seeing how they treat road drivers I wouldn't trust their tanker division either. The oil fields are slow right now. It sucks. You're gonna be stuck on the road for awhile. I would give anything to get back in the oil field! I hate pulling a box OTR with a passion but the oil fields are slow now. The few positions available are very competitive and of course they prefer experience. 3 months pulling a van won't cut it when there are many experienced drivers all applying for the position. Never hurts to keep applying though

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  11. machinegunner_240

machinegunner_240 Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2015
    Yeah but when was that? Last year they were screaming for anyone with a CDL. This year everyone is getting laid off.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.