Ok here's one for ya: clearance lamps turned themselves on when the switch is off

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by dieselfuelonly, Jun 6, 2015.

1. dieselfuelonly

dieselfuelonly Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Chapel Hill, NC
    '03 T600 in my signature...

I look out in the driveway and my clearance lights are on... WTF?

Go check the switch in the cab. It's off. Turn the switch on, the clearance lights turn off.

Turn the switch off, the lights turn back on. Just the lamps on the top of the cab and the top of the sleeper.

I have 4 switches for my headlamps, fog lamps, clearance lamps and parking lamps.

Uh.... any ideas (other than flip the switch to the "ON" position and walk away like I've already done)? LOL.

I'd have thought if the relay went bad they would just stay on or stay off, not reverse their operation.

[​IMG]

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. EHB

EHB Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Newfoundland
    If it
    If it is a old school relay it would go off unless a tiny strand of wire is just touching off and when it clicks back it grounds off another wire turning the lights on.

How ever these new electroic relays can do some really strange things too.

Check with a multi meter and pull the fuse and see if power is coming from the park lights , could have wires touching off each other or the body.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
    Hammer166 and dieselfuelonly Thank this.
  4. Cromwell

Cromwell Light Load Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Probably the switch man. If you happen to have a toggle switch laying around you might try hooking it up and trying it out

dieselfuelonly Thanks this.
  5. Cromwell

Jun 3, 2015
    That's a good looking truck btw. I really like those

6. dieselfuelonly

Nov 12, 2012
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Guess I've got some digging around to do. Been home for a few days and the lights have been off until this afternoon. Hasn't rained in a day or so, and the truck has been sitting in one spot so who knows LOL.

I appreciate it, thanks! I really like it too. Been a really good truck. Need to replace that mirror cover though, lost a battle with an owl a month or so ago. Then again I don't think the owl exactly "won" either.

EHB Thanks this.
  7. Cromwell

Jun 3, 2015
    You won you just got scarred up... I drove a 2003 t600 for a couple weeks and several of its switches were doing that same thing. I don't know if it was cause someone had been doing some rewiring or what the deal was. The on/off cruise switch and the on/off Jake switch both did the same thing. The switch had to be in the off position for them to be on. They were all stock switches in that truck so I don't know if the wires had been touched or not. It had definitely seen better days, but it would run like a scalded dog.

8. dieselfuelonly

Nov 12, 2012
    Chapel Hill, NC
    It gets weirder LOL. Swapped relays thinking for sure the relay had something wrong. Nope, same thing. Pulled the switch panel off, disconnected the harness for both the clearance lamps and headlamps and hooked the clearance lamp harness up to the headlamp switch. Same thing. Stumped for the time being, what am I missing? My original plan to just roll the switch over so it was upside down (lol) was foiled because of the notch they put in there so it can't roll around on it's own.

[​IMG]

9. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Probably not the issue but I'll chime in. Got a "Courtesy" switch? Mine sticks just a tad off center every once in a great while. If lights are in the off position, markers will stay on. In the on position, they're off. Might be worth a look.

10. CaptainDaveG

CaptainDaveG Road Train Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    DFO....fabrication baby....get a nail file from the old lady file it down and flip it...back to beertime....

Be safe out there

Captain Dave

11. dieselfuelonly

Nov 12, 2012
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Back to normal today apparently. Looked out at the truck this afternoon and the lights were back on. Flipped the switch to off and the lights go off. What a weird one. I was reading somewhere that Kenworth uses the switches on the dashboard to complete the circuit to ground rather than applying 12v to the circuit. My guess is that some moisture in/around the lights could lead to the circuit grounding out and the lights coming on. But I would think they would be stuck on then and I wouldn't be able to turn them off. Who friggin knows.

EHB Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.