Ok I need an answer before I spend a ton of money

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Ryan S2016, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Ryan S2016

Ryan S2016 Medium Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    I currently have a truck and trailer that is under 26,001 but between the truck and the trailer I am over 10,001 hence why I am monitored by the FMCSA and have my authority. I have my NC registration that indicates I am legally permitted to haul up to 20K pounds that is what I paid to have it rated for. I did this to make sure I dont go over the limit I am permitted to haul.
    I am upgrading to a 1 ton Ram Dually the GVWR is about 11K pounds +/- The trailer i am considering is a Kaufman 2 car hauler with a GVWR of 14 K pounds heres the link http://www.kaufmantrailers.com/goos.../two-car-truck-gooseneck-trailer-14k-35-5-ft/

My question is the two of these units equal about 25K pounds obviously under the 26,001 but would I would I not be over the CDL threshold if I load two cars on this? I know it sounds like I am an idiot right now but I am new to owning my own company running on my own authority and my current set-up is way below CDL. Can someone explain the whole GVWR and weight configuration thing for me because I am going to invest a lot of money and I don't want it to be a waste of funds or time

Please try and be as constructive as you can

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Depends upon the weight of the cars + your tare weight. If the truck empty weighs 9K, the trailer another 5K, you're at 14K. If you put a pair of 2K economy cars on there, you'd be fine. Try loading a pair of 7K pickup trucks, and you're over.

Until you know what your empty weight will be, you won't know how much you can haul. If you DON'T have a CDL, make darn sure the trailer doesn't put your GCWR over 26,000...even if it is only registered to 25K.

brian991219 and Ryan S2016 Thank this.
  4. Ryan S2016

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    This is what is confusing me GVWR and GCWR I linked the trailer in the OP is it the case that the trailer is 14K pounds and is that what goes towards the 25,001 pounds ?

5. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    Not knowing the exact specs of the truck (just going by the 11K you stated), you'd probably be OK with the 14K rated trailer...however if you upgrade to the 8K axles you'd need a CDL as it would bump the trailer to 16K. Likewise, being so close to the limit, if the truck has an "upgraded" suspension package, it too might put you over the threshold for needing a CDL even with the lighter rated trailer axles.

Your best bet if you're wanting to tinker around that close to the limit would be to just get your CDL and not worry about it anymore.

brian991219, crb and Ryan S2016 Thank this.
  6. Ryan S2016

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    I think to be on the safe side I am going to go ahead and get it whats killing me is in NC after you take the written test you have to wait 14 days to take the skills and road test. I am not going to school per say I am going to ride along with other students for a day or two so I can get used to the truck and then take the road test at the 3rd party schooling location. However as I am sure you know any day I am not hauling is a day with no $$$$$ and that can hurt especially around bill time. I was hoping with out having to get a CDL I could buy my truck sooner but it does not appear that way.

7. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    As an aside, even my F250 has axle ratings that total more than 11K...which is what a DOT man might just use to put you OOS with the set-up you are thinking about.

Good thing about getting the CDL is that you can get whatever upgrades are available for the axles and suspension on both the truck and trailer, increasing the variety of stuff you can carry. For instance, a pair of pickup trucks becomes possible.

8. Ryan S2016

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    I am actually considering 5K pound bags in the rear as well just a thought though

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.