Old Dominion--A Newbie's Experience

Discussion in 'Old Dominion' started by cellopudding, Aug 16, 2013.

1. cellopudding

cellopudding Light Load Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hello everyone! I'll be starting at OD on Monday, August 19th as a trainee line-haul driver. I guess the company is doing so well that it can't find enough drivers to handle its freight! I'm very excited about this opportunity, and wanted to start this thread as a way to document my experience in working with the company. Any current OD drivers out there, feel free to chip in!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Good luck to you. I'll be interested to hear all about it as you progress along.

Pete

4. KW Cajun

KW Cajun Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Copperhead Road
    Congrats! I hear they're a great company that treats their employees way better than most other LTL competitors. I'll be interested to hear how things progress. Keep us posted!

hdcut Thanks this.
  5. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Good for you! good luck with your new company!

6. Love Driveing

Love Driveing Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2013
    What do they pay? All the OD drivers ive seen seem like good people. I was taking my truck home once and one of them got on the radio asking what I was looking for since I guess I looked lost.. Just told them I was going home. Lol

7. runningman0661

runningman0661 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Clover, South Carolina
    You wil end up running team in the line haul gig, but OD is still a great place to start as a newbie

8. cellopudding

Apr 22, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks! They're a great company, but standards are very high. I'm looking forward to Monday, and hearing more about what exactly is expected of me.

Pay is in the 47-48 cpm range for new drivers with a bump up to 54 cpm after a year. I'm not sure how long it takes to reach top pay, or what that is.

My understanding is that running teams is a choice left up to the driver, but hey, more money if I do, right? I hear their line haul team drivers are making 6 figures a year.

TequilaSunrise Thanks this.
  9. cellopudding

Apr 22, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Well, today went exactly how I expected it to go. A lot of paperwork, and safety training. I'm now officially employed at OD! I "meet" my trainer tomorrow at noon. I say "meet," because he is the same guy who did my road test. He seemed like a good guy; I'm excited to learn from him.

As further evidence that I made a good decision in coming to work her, the two of us who started today got a little pep talk from the terminal HR manager, basically letting us know that we can take all the training time we need to feel comfortable in our new jobs. He said that OD likes to make an investment in its people, and that they're invested in us for the long haul.

TequilaSunrise, hdcut, unholy7 and 4 others Thank this.
  10. cellopudding

Apr 22, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Well, first week of training is going well! My trainer and I run to Nashville and back every night. I'm learning a lot about how OD likes things done. We're definitely running hard, though... last couple of days have been right up against my 14. I will keep everyone posted about how things are going.

The Challenger Thanks this.
  11. Boy Howdey

Boy Howdey Medium Load Member

May 22, 2013
    Back to where if I may ask?

I work for ABF, a competitor of you guys, and I too run line haul.
    You made a great choice with OD. They're a great company.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.