Old Dominion

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Jbeltran805, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Jbeltran805

Jbeltran805 Light Load Member

Jul 24, 2016
    I just sent my resume to Old Dominion for a P&D position , I have no experience at all just a recent cdl graduate but the person I emailed told me to send a resume and they'll deff take me in consideration, does anyone here work at ODFL? Can you tell me what it's like to work for OD? If I get hired will they put me in a training program since I have no exp?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    No matter where you go you'll be put through training haha
    OD is a highly regarded job in the LTL industry but they've been known to be strict about their rules. Cameras in trucks, governed at 62 unless you have a route longer than XXX miles. (I don't know the magic number)
    Word has it they just laid a boat load of drivers off in Indianapolis.

Wish I could give you more information but that's all Ive got.
    Personally, I'd say jump on it if you get the chance. As far as a first year drivers go you won't find anything better, if money and hometime is your priority at least.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  4. Jbeltran805

Jbeltran805 Light Load Member

Jul 24, 2016
    Thanks for the info you gave me man appreciate it , but yeah I want to do local . There's no way I'd ever want to do OTR unless I have no option..

5. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    Well, hell. They sport a terminal in Portland, ME, towards the outside of the city... maybe I'll check them out. I wondered why the NEMF recruiter sounded panicky when asking 'is there anyone else you're considering?'

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  6. Naptown

Naptown Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Where to start...

No cameras in the trucks, inward OR outward facing. Trucks are governed at 65. Some linehaul trucks are set at 68 and even 70, but those are assigned to specific schedules. I work at the Indy terminal and haven't seen any massive layoff. A couple of drivers were let go for disciplinary reasons and some city guys were moved to the dock temporarily, but there it is.

OP, Old Dominion is a great place to work. I definitely recommend you pursue the opportunity. They do take new drivers as needed, so you've got a good shot. Ltl in general is a good niche of the industry, and OD is a well respected carrier. Check out the OD sub-forum for some good accurate info.

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindustryforum/forums/old-dominion.217/

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  7. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    And drivers who get fired from OD make up a bunch of ######## too. I've been schooled lol

Thanks nap

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.