Old school trick to stop criminal comedians

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by MooneyBravo, Feb 4, 2016.

1. MooneyBravo

MooneyBravo Heavy Load Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Vermilion, Oh
    You'd be surprised through the years how many drivers I've noticed were having trouble disconnecting their trailer from their tractor because they didn't know this basic skill. Some of them were actually truck driver school graduates too. So here goes.
    To all you new drivers: If you ever have trouble getting disconnected, set your trailer brakes, put her in reverse and gently release the clutch to increase pressure. Set your tractor brakes before depressing your clutch pedal. You should then have no problem releasing your kingpin. This may seem like a basic skill to most of us but I have met several drivers that surprisingly weren't aware of that trick.

Now about the comedians. There are some people out there, some of which claim to be professional drivers that love to sit back and watch you screw up. I call these drivers criminals with a CDL. I have seen 3 drivers in my lifetime abruptly pull away because they were in a hurry, were not thinking and consequently dropped their trailer. This can be an embarrassing event for any of us. It can have even greater consequences if you are carrying hazmat or pulling a tanker with pin type landing gear. One rule that became part of my basic fabric in the beginning was trying to pull away while applying my trailer brakes. The other thing I do every time I am parked and away from my truck for awhile is to take the time to walk around my trailer and check all pins and both release handles. It also doesn't hurt to shine your flashlight into the rear of your fifth wheel to verify the jaws are in fact locked. This should not take more than a minute or 2 of your time; Small price to pay. The other trick I use is the opposite of what I talked about earlier. I set my trailer brakes, put her in gear and increase forward pressure before setting my tractor brakes. This makes it very difficult to release your trailer slider pins. It don't make it impossible to release your king pin but it does make it much harder to release it with your hand.

I actually talked to a driver one time who shared his desire to do what he called "having a little fun" with this criminal maneuver. I told him my opinion of him using a few expletives and told him to get the f### out of my sight before I gave him an attitude adjustment that was apparently overdue.
    Be careful out there drivers.
    There are some real idiots out there who are obviously suffering from Cranium Rectal Inversion.

Truck driving is a thinking job.
    When you quit thinking, that's when you're going to get yourself into trouble.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Flipflops

Flipflops Heavy Load Member

Oct 18, 2015
    Especially at rest areas where there is no cameras, makes criminals more hungry. It's harder to do what you described at truck stops but it happens, imagine at rest areas where there is literally nobody outside at night.

Always check pins and airlines, and fuel tank caps. On a kenworth I drove before I woke up to a missing cap.

4. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    In some countries, a comedian is an expertise at sex..

taxihacker66 Thanks this.
  5. Final Drive

Final Drive Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2015
    Last year i saw a company driver beating the hell out of his trailer door latch lock with a hammer. Temperature was below zero. So I walked over and asked what the problem was he replied. "He couldn't get the lock off." So i suggested to pour water on lock. It came right off.

MooneyBravo Thanks this.
  6. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    You can use a chain to release your 5th wheel if its stuck.

7. Lucy in the Sky

Lucy in the Sky Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2015
    Brilliant...

8. Poacher

Poacher Medium Load Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Arkansas
    This is why I joined the forum. Thank you from a new driver. This is the kind of knowledge that a lot of drivers won't/dont share.

Thank you sir.

White_Knuckle_Newbie Thanks this.
  9. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    You mean some chucklehead didn't pull that stunt in your CDL class?

10. Poacher

Poacher Medium Load Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Arkansas
    I didn't go through CDL class. Had my CDL from the oilfield then came OTR with all the layoffs.
    No one did that stuff in the oilfield. We had pranksters but never with the equipment. Someone might put grease on your door handle or in your hardhat.
    My trainer for OTR preached to me about checking the pin. Every time asked if I checked it. Is a great habit that he passed on. But he never said anything about pushing back on kingpin to unlock jaws, or pulling forward to prevent it.
    Little pieces of advice like this go a long way.
    I appreciate it.

11. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've heard grease in the glove, but not the hardhat! That's just mean!

Canned Spam Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.