Older cabovers OTR?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by seabring, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Container Hauler

Container Hauler Light Load Member

May 16, 2012
    Long Beach CA
    We love cabovers lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Blind Driver

Blind Driver Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2006
    New Albany, IN
    Look closely.

a0382784.jpg

4. SCHULTZ

SCHULTZ Light Load Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I just bought a 1985 362 Pete 350 BC2 Cummins things a beast it hold up to my 99 KW w900 425 Cat with no problems rides just a good its all air ride cab seat suspension has a 110 sleeper with a queen bed have no issues out there rides good not beating me up only issue is not that much room for comfort in the changing area or sitting up but I put a drop down 19inch led change in the truck stop no issues. Just needs some love last owner kept everything running good but didnt keep up with her looks so now im working on the looks since mechanically its solid

5. Tama Mai Hawaii Nei

Tama Mai Hawaii Nei Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    This is her in my profile still running strong i changed my name from Schultz to Tama Mai Hawaii Nei but this is the same truck i was going to sell her do to cancer but decided to keep her. So far I upgraded the engine from the 350 bc to a NTC 855 redone suspension currently sitting on a freightliner classic frame and suspension bagged the front. Its pushing close to 500 hp and gets 6.6 to low to mid 7 in mpg.

6. Stone Express

Stone Express Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Beautiful Kws. I got to drive a new '81 and an '85. The' 85 rode pretty good. Both 8 bag. The '81's whole dash was loose and would shake. It had the greatest heater though.

Except for the '85, the rest rode terrible, but I liked driving them. Love the unrestricted view. The dog houses were for naps most days.....feet stuck in the bunk with shoes off. By the time I got sore, usually a hour or so, it was time to go back to work. Nothing like that engine idling underneath.....

I started driving, in a '69 Pete COE, and then '71 and '76 Corn Binders.

7. W900AOwner

W900AOwner Heavy Load Member

Jul 2, 2014
    I kinda like 'em too....

Here's my current cabover... 1981 Freightliner with a 96" cab. 3406A @ 380+ HP, Jake, 15 Double Over, 44K lb. rears...Purrs like a kitten, drives nicely.

I use it primarily for mental therapy, but I have used it for a little work and got me out of a jamb this summer when I lost the fan clutch on my 2000 W9L with a load of gasoline on...I had the cabover towed to me, I slid under the loaded tanker with it and delivered the gas. It saved the day.

Other than that, it just bobtails to antique truck shows and around the area to stay limber. Nothing worse for a truck than letting it sit doing nothing for months on end. Plan is to get it under cover one day soon, and remove the double framed outside liner they put on before I had it, because it's starting to get erosion/corrosion between that and the OE frame rails so that needs to come off. It was set up with a dumping aluminum tank on it for hauling fish for lobster bait before, hence the beefed up frame and 44K rears.
    5-23-15showBFalls2.jpg 81Freightliner.jpg 81Freightliner (1).jpg FLcabup#2.jpg FLcabup#4.jpg MsPiggy#1.jpg MsPiggy#2.jpg MsPiggy#3.jpg

jdiesel3406, Ozdriver, jacob and 3 others Thank this.
  8. Al. Roper

Al. Roper Road Train Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Bakersville NC
    That is one fine looking ride.

W900AOwner Thanks this.
  9. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Beautiful truck, pretty sure I have seen it at a few shows. I recognize the old IT Pete next to it. Personally I like the looks of the old Freightliner cabovers the best.

W900AOwner Thanks this.
  10. jacob

jacob Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    This is mine. Just bought it at the end of October. Bobtailed home with it from Washington to Wisconsin and had a smile on my face the whole time. 1988 FLT, 400 Cummins with a 9 speed. Hopefully I'll have it on the road by the beginning of the coming year.
    [​IMG]

11. Ckxtreme

Ckxtreme Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2015
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.