OMG Cascadia

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Atruckerswife02, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Animosus

Animosus Medium Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    SE Wyoming
    Service Bulletin
    42-69 Excessive Moisture in Air System
    Some EPA10 vehicles with HDEP engines and WABCO or Bendix air dryers are experiencing excessive moisture in the air system, possibly resulting in a transmission solenoid failure, or a DEF system fault code (see
    Table 1) and/or a clogged air inlet screen (DDE A0001400594) in the DEF metering unit. If a vehicle is showing
    any of these symptoms, perform the inspection below to determine the cause of the excess moisture, and make
    repairs as needed.

---

This is when the "trombone kit" came out that is basically just an air cooler mounted to the front of the cooling pack.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SLCTrucker

SLCTrucker Medium Load Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Salt Lake City UT
    I have had the trombone kit on mine for 2 years, no water in system after install.

The other place water could be coming from is the rain trough under the windshield, they sometimes leak & water runs into the compressor.

4. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Doesn't compressor grab it's air from the intake making it a sealed system .. I'm not seeing any way a windshield leak can introduce water into air supply

Dale thompson and SLCTrucker Thank this.
  5. SLCTrucker

SLCTrucker Medium Load Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Salt Lake City UT
    I thought the same thing, but I could see a vent on the compressor right under where the leak was coming from the rain trough.

Sealed the trough & its stopped most of the water getting into the air system.

Now the trough if you replace it is a 1 piece instead of a 3 piece.

When I get back to truck I will post a picture of where I believe mine was getting water into it from.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    Reason for edit: added info
    magoo68 Thanks this.
  6. 1fixitman

1fixitman Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2016
    I want to see that picture.

7. 1fixitman

Aug 16, 2016
    On my 2012 Cascadia with DD13 engine my air dryer is mounted on an air tank at the rear of the sleeper under the frame rail. The dealer told me that they could not order a trombone kit for my truck because my air dryer is not one of the ones that have problems with drying the air. They are right. Over 900 miles from drain to drain on air tanks and no moisture coming from any of the three tanks.

8. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    Yeah, that's why Peterbilt & KW don't even have shops. Their trucks never have issues. Lol.

Hick Thanks this.
  9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I've seen that before too. It's a rare phenomenon and harmless.

10. David_Simpson

David_Simpson Medium Load Member

Feb 23, 2016
    same thing happens when you open up the fridge door, you get all that what looks like vapors. been happening all summer here at my house, due to the high humidity.

o/p should check for open vents or sleeper windows or door windows, letting in the outside air.

11. 1fixitman

Aug 16, 2016
    Run the A/C on recirculate instead of letting in the outside air. It is the button that has an arrow that looks like a horseshoe on the fan switch or it is an actual lever. I don't know make model year.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.