On Duty Time and Off Duty Time

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by JKC Transport, May 30, 2011.

1. Jordon

Jordon Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2011
    So are we all in agreement? Commuting to work isn't on-duty, but after you arrive to work and go on-duty and your dispatcher asks you to drive your personal vehicle to McDonald's to get him an egg McMuffin, it is?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    Only if the dispatcher buys.

Which ain't ever gonna happen. :biggrin_25523:

4. THBatMan8

THBatMan8 Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2011
    Wherever I park
    Nope. He isn't going to get the hint, so I no longer see the point in wasting my time. In fact, I'll just go ahead and save myself future issues by adding him to my ignore list.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  5. Yodler

Yodler Light Load Member

May 16, 2011
    Tobyhanna, PA 18466, USA
    That's what I've been taught by several instructors.

Now, a lawyer may argue differently, but will this argument stand against the regulation? Are there any pecedent cases where a judge has accepted, and ruled for such an ARGUMENT?

As far as I'm concerned, I'm off duty until I arrive at my employers yard, and get my tractor ready to leave, beginning with the pre-trip inspection. If I'm working shift, and I'm supposed to start at 6:00 am, that's when my duty starts, even if I arrive at the yard at 5:30 am. I won't start pre-trip until 6:00 am in that case.
    Same thing when I go home. As soon as I'm done with my post-trip, and leave my tractor, I'm OFF duty. If I drive my car home for 3 hours, that's off duty, because it's my personal vehicle, and my personal time.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
    THBatMan8 Thanks this.
  6. THBatMan8

THBatMan8 Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2011
    Wherever I park
    I thought this argument was settled? lostNfound and myself had a misunderstanding of what we were saying. Any driving that you do which is unrelated to your job is logged off duty. It doesn't matter if it's your personal car or the truck itself.

Yodler Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.