On the list of the Top 20 violations, #8 is....

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by GreenMonster9669, Jul 2, 2015.

1. GreenMonster9669

GreenMonster9669 Medium Load Member

Aug 16, 2014
    St Louis
    Driver unable to speak english language!?

I was at a shipper today and they had Keller posters everywhere. One of them listed the 20 most frequent reasons for drivers getting a ticket. #1 was log problems, #2 was speeding....the kind of stuff you would expect. But #8 on the list jumped out at me. The 8th most frequent reason for a ticket was that the driver couldn't speak english.

Please tell me that someone who doesn't speak english can still read road signs.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    Many are able to understand and read. Just have trouble communicating.

4. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Its a major problem in the Chicago area... The major question is though how are these people even obtaining a CDL?

5. marineman227

marineman227 Dock Waterer

Jan 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I stayed at the badger coop on 94 west just past the state line last night and the bulletin board inside has 3 printouts about just that.

6. JJKid

JJKid Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    This right here. It's the individual having trouble trying to manage himself when asked a series of questions or told to do something (e.g; hand signals by DOT).

truckon Thanks this.
  7. taxihacker66

taxihacker66 Road Train Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Concrete jungle.
    It's frightening that someone can get a cdl and cannot understand English. A couple of years ago I was a t the buffalo border crossing and the CBP officer
    sent a driver back to Canada for not being able to communicate o r understand English. I wish more officers would do that!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  8. Anonymousproxy

Anonymousproxy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Nebraska has been in the news for finding drivers unable to speak english,,, as for the log problems, what more can we expect when the Feds come up with these idiotic rules like the 14 hour clock, but can't comprehend shippers/receivers who hold us to their docks for long hours due to lazy or incompetent dock workers, brokers who push or coerce drivers to run even if in violation, and some of the companies out there that force drivers to run outlaw(fortunately I work for a good company...but brokers are still as bad as ever), etc. Yet when confronted with this, the dimwit Feds just give drivers the brush-off with statements like"drivers don't know if they're rested".....I'm still waiting for the day when the cork will pop and drivers finally decide they've had it with these idiots at FMCSA, and inflict some damage for once.

poppapump1332 and LGarrison Thank this.
  9. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    And if that #8 is correct, why haven't we heard of HUGE legal actions and fines against the company/dispatcher that deals with the driver every day, the company personnel manager/management/owner that hired a driver that was not legally qualified to be a truck driver, the school that "trained " the non compliant driver, and the DMV people that illegally issued a CDL to a non-qualified driver?

10. 315wheelbase

315wheelbase Heavy Load Member

Oct 26, 2014
    I was told last week at Harrisonville scale in Missouri that the English rule is no longer enforced,,too many no English speaking drivers,,now what we need is a rule take would outlaw bad or stupid drivers,, Only then will I believe ATA and the Mega Carriers that there is a driver shortage and maybe then the rates will go up enough that a single truck owner could make a profit.
    many jobs in America were out sourced to other countries like Mexico and China.
    NAFTA was an attempt to send jobs Mexico and Canada,,It succeeded with Canada and is starting with Mexico,,Imagine what it will be like when truck driving jobs will be out sourced to China,,A container hooked to a truck from China comes in to Long Beach, Ca,,the complete truck with an attached trailer is unloaded and the Chinese driver gets out of the sleeper and heads out across America,,It is coming,,Highway signs is 5 languages or more
    For you information California DMV gives driving test in 39 languages.
    Only thing that drivers from every country understand is the "one fingered peace sign"

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  11. taxihacker66

taxihacker66 Road Train Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Concrete jungle.
    1-
    2-
    1- A lot of the manufacturers left Canada and settled in places like MEXICO , BRAZIL,INDIA all do too the NAFTA agreement .2- Not sure but i think they're coming up with a cheaper scenario .AUTOMATED TRUCKS .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.