opinion on used trucks

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by GFBTrucking, Oct 6, 2015.

1. GFBTrucking

GFBTrucking Bobtail Member

Oct 2, 2015
    Good evening ,

I am 4 year experienced driver , looking to go from the company to o/0 side . I was hoping that I might be able to get a general opinion on A particular model of truck. I have plenty of driving with freightliner , however I am interested in a Mack Vision year range 03-06 most likely 10 or 13 spd.

Just looking for anyone who might of driven them how did you like them, troubles ? Etc. Otherwise I'm going with a freight shaker as I know way more about the then macks.

Thanks
    Joe

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Stick with the popular brands. Easier to fix with more locations and parts availability.

Volvo, intl, and mack being the least favorites.

GFBTrucking Thanks this.
  4. CargoWahgo

CargoWahgo Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Finding the right fuel filters for international at a ta.....good luck :)

He's right on that one.

5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I just don't understand why, when someone is looking for a good used truck, Kenworth is always overlooked. There are a ton of them out there, ( even old fleet KW's, like Millis) and might cost a little more initially, but you get twice the truck. From what I've heard here, newer Macks are but a shell of what they used to be, not the best, and if you are looking at Freightliners, why not a Volvo? ( Good heavens) Sorry, there IS a difference in trucks, and I feel, Kenworth is the best out there. Always has been.

6. CargoWahgo

CargoWahgo Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky
    T600 13speed kW with a cat.

Best truck I ever had.
    Just duck when coming back to the chair and suck it in... :)

Got better mpg out of that truck then a auto 2015! 10 year older truck.

1day in the shop ever for a new starter.

7. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    It is what is under the hood that counts the most.

GFBTrucking Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I'll take a Diamond Reo any day over a Kenworth.

207nomad, cnsper and 201 Thank this.
  9. 1smellytrucker

1smellytrucker Bobtail Member

Mar 4, 2014
    On my second 1.1+ million mile D12 volvo.
    It gets better fuel mileage than any other 700k engine. 1mpg better a year pretty much pays all the maintenance, shh don't tell the haters. But there are a lot of things I hate about them as well

10. Jran11

Jran11 Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Mccamey, TX
    I went with Detroit, simple reason being you can cross parts and you can find a Detroit mechanic anywhere. It's all luck of the draw in the end. My only other advice is unless your putting it in a truck show, nice looking should be close to last in priority list. Paid 12,000 for my first truck it was ugly and had 1.1 million but lasted for 6 years and was still going strong when I sold it.

GFBTrucking Thanks this.
  11. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Hi Chinatown, HOORAY, we agree on something. (just kidding) Diamond Reo was indeed a classy truck. Even UPS used D-R cabovers for a while. The asphalt plant I worked at in the '90's, had a D-R conventional day cab, maybe early '70's, that we used as a lowboy truck, and it was pretty tired, but you could still see, at one time, it was a nice truck. Same cab as my Western Star. ( thanks to hankstruckpictures and John Becker for these)
    http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/john_becker/ups_diamond_reo_03_jlb.jpg

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.