Options in PA?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by BossHarp, Oct 21, 2016.

1. BossHarp

BossHarp Bobtail Member

Oct 21, 2016
    First post here after lurking for awhile. I know this kind of stuff gets asked a lot but most of what i'm finding is info from months or years ago so wasn't sure if a lot of it was still good to go by.

I'm heading into my 4th and final week of cdl classes next week and I've already taken and passed my cdl test this week. Wanted to get some opinions on the best companies to be looking at for me to start with. I know most of the ones that I should be avoiding already from lurking around here but I'm not certain what my options for good companies are. I'm located in central PA. My main issue is decent home time but also not working for slave wages (asking a lot already right?). I have 2 young kids so those long 3-4+ week at a time gigs aren't an option. I just need to find something to get my feet wet with and keep the bills paid until I get a little experience to open up more options.

The main 2 I've been looking at so far have been Schneider and TMC. Schneider has quite a few dry van and tanker jobs listed here in PA but they're mostly dedicated accounts and they've been hiring for them for quite awhile so something leads me to believe they might not be as good as they're making them sound. TMC has sounded decent from what i've read about them, and the pay + hometime + tuition reimbursement seems to be the best of the combo i've found so far but I'm sure there's others out there I haven't come across yet.

cjbuckeye Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
  4. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    If you're in central PA anywhere near Harrisburg, you may want to look up J.P. Donmoyer/ F.T. Silfies. They are a dry bulk tanker company leased to Quality Carriers. I think they now hire graduates of Hacc and a few other schools. And they're advertising a $4K sign on bonus. They have local home daily, and regional work. They also have dry van work.

I worked at Donmoyer a few years ago before Silfies bought Donmoyer. Was a great experience, and led me to where I am now.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  5. milehunter43

milehunter43 Heavy Load Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Ohio
    Some SNI dedicated accounts pay fine and get you home every weekend, others are not so great. I'm not sure what they have going on over in PA. I do not recommend SNI "regular" regional, pay is too low.

PI&I in Sharon does Flatbed. I'd work for them before TMC

AM14 Thanks this.
  6. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    PI&I is quickly sliding fown the tubes, according to all the PI&I drivers I talk to. And since I live in the area, I talk to the guys who should know.

OP, depending on which area of "central PA" you live in, and what type of trailer most interests you, I can point you to a few good regional outfits.

Transport America has "service centers" in Mechanicsburg, PA and North Jackson, OH (just west of Youngstown). I drove for them a few years back, and they treated me very well. Got home every weekend, unless I screamed and hollered for a weekend load. I'm not sure if they still have a training program, you'll have to call and ask.

Watsontown Trucking Company out of Milton, PA (off of I-80) has clean trucks and generally happy drivers. Not sure if they hire students, either, but a phone call won't hurt.

Smith Transport out of Roaring Springs (by Altoona, PA) runs vans ans I think a few reefers. Possibly even a few water bottles still for the gas industry. They DO take students, but expect to see an unfortunate amount of the New England area.

Swift, Schnieder, and Knight all have terminals in the Harrisburg/Carlisle area. Swift has flatbeds as well as the regular box trailers. So does Knight, but they are limited to a specific dedicated account. Schneider offers dry bulk and liquid tankers as well as the standard box freight.

Ronald Gross in the Butler, PA region always has his eye out for a good, dependable driver, but you need experience first (one year, I think). He prefers steel hauling experience, so if you are considering him, go to TMC or Maverick as your starter outfit. Just remember that as you drag that tarp across that grubby coil, Ron Gross runs covered wagons. Tarping for the lazy-minded!

Keen Transport is based out of Carlisle, but they also require experience. If you want to go heavy haul with them, start again with Maverick or TMC.

Also look at some of the companies in OH, MD, or even VA. If their trucks cross on I-80 or the turnpike, they'll probably be interested.

Pintlehook, AM14, milehunter43 and 2 others Thank this.
  7. milehunter43

milehunter43 Heavy Load Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Ohio
    Too bad to hear, last I heard they were a decent outfit.

8. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    They used to be. But the old man is on s major growth at any cost kick. Wants to beat Pat Gallagher before he croaks, I guess.

9. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Where do you live?

10. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

Silfies is still around? I thought AR bought silfies. Around eastern PA, I see old silfies tanks being pulled by AR, the silfies names were removed, but the outline remains.

I remember when silfies would pull out of the Heidelberg plant by lake ontelaunne as what seemed to be a dedicated carrier. Then one day silfies just stopped and Venezia moved in.

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    That's the best bet, Old Dominion Freight Line, and they hire new cdl grads.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.