Orientation Questions

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Blue Hotel, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Blue Hotel

Blue Hotel Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    So I have orientation in Richmond on Monday. I would have asked these earlier, but I only spoke to a recruiter once, and that was on Friday. He sent me a paper with what I should bring to orientation, date, time, etc, and also a conditional offer letter. That is it.

What forms, papers, etc should I bring with me? Did recruiters send us anything to fill out and bring with us? If so, I don't have it.

Do I need to bring old W2 forms for employment verification? Do I need to bring a copy of my driving record? The recruiter said they can't accept a driving record that I give them, but I've read some older pieces saying I have to print one out and bring it.

On my resume I listed my unpaid internships. I don't have any W2s or anything from them since they were unpaid. Some of those employers don't even have the same people working there any longer, so they can't even be called, the staff will just say "I wasn't here in 2012, so I don't know this guy, sorry." Do you think that will be a problem? I still have two people from the internships who have since moved on to other jobs that I am in touch with, but what if they can't be reached (they're busy too)? For what it's worth, most, but not all, of the time I was doing internships I was also in college, and I have copies of the transcripts to prove it. So most of that ground can be covered somehow. I just worry about the parts that can't.

I am driving myself to orientation because I live in Richmond. Is there anything I should know about parking? It wasn't discussed.

Again, the process moved so fast. I put my application in on Thursday night and a recruiter called me Friday, and now I'm headed off on Monday.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. carramrod32

carramrod32 Heavy Load Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Midwest
  4. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    original social security card - most companies want to see one that's not laminated.
    original birth certificate

List the internships as "college student" since that's what you were. Unpaid intern is just another college subject. No different than a math class or whatever.

Puppage Thanks this.
  6. Aaabbbccc

Aaabbbccc Light Load Member

It's not your fault if a former employer goes out of business for example. Who would they check with then? As long as you gave a truthful resume with as many details as possible- names of contacts, phone numbers, addresses- you're good.

7. A21CAV

A21CAV Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Laredo, TX
    Richmond Terminal has car parking that is not gated. Since you live in Richmond you should go over there and take a look around. You can walk in and visit with the drivers that are there if you wish; its a pretty relaxed place and no one is going to run you off because you're not a driver yet.

Its at the corner of 2841 Charles City Road and Miller Road with the car parking on the Miller Road side of the corner.

8. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    Dad got a laminater back in the 70s. For a while there was no small piece off paper that was safe in the house from gettin laminated.

Velli and Chinatown Thank this.
  9. Blue Hotel

Blue Hotel Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    Well, I already submitted the application online, I think you have to do that before getting invited to orientation. If not, then I just wasted my time I suppose. Are they going to make me fill out a resume again? If so, I'll just do like you said and put down student. If not, hopefully they'll share our outlook and go "oh, no that's just part of college and I see he has transcripts." Hopefully I won't get sent home over something small like that, like someone not answering the phone or nobody remaining at a workplace from when I was there.

10. A21CAV

A21CAV Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Laredo, TX
    You're over thinking this. They want to know if and when you ever were a trucker, if ever, and whether or not you spent time in prison and for what. Otherwise, if you have a pulse you're good to go.

11. superscooter

superscooter Light Load Member

Im at C1 school in springfield and heading to orientation somewhere. I came here with laminated card. Its STUPID they are so #### pissy about it. I know it says not too on back...well my mom knew it needed to last...big deal. I sent a message to my recruiter today about the social security card. It could take a few weeks if i HAVE to wait to work. I hope the hellllll not.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.