Orientation w Melton March 2014 (Tulsa, OK)

Discussion in 'Melton' started by bnrobot, Mar 19, 2014.

1. hellpatrol

hellpatrol Light Load Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Wyndup thanks for the reply. It's one of the best answers to the question that I have seen. This is very true and I hope that I can find the right fit for me. Bnrobot thanks for the info. I knew about those, but was wondering if there were any others that I had missed. It's very true about a personal fit, but also about the luck of the draw and getting good people around you. This would make even the worst company bearable. Oh, another question: are the Melton trucks 10 speeds or 13? Dare I ask if they're 18? I much prefer the 13 over the 10 since it's easier to shift and better for the engine.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Triletter

Triletter Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2012
    They are all 10's. I will agree with Wyndup that a good company is what fits the individual. I also think a lot depends on the individual; a positive attitude, a good work ethic and being flexible will make for a decent fit at most companies. Melton has been great for me.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  4. wyndup

wyndup Medium Load Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Pine Valley, CA
    10 speeds. No coffee yet???

5. Triletter

Triletter Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2012
    On hometime. Not being paid to think.:biggrin_25523: I sometimes get lost with where I am with 10. I can only imagine what it would be with more.

6. hellpatrol

Apr 22, 2013
    AAAAAARGH!!!!! 10 speed. I got my hopes up then looked after the correction. Might have to bite the bullet. At least they're kw's.

7. wyndup

wyndup Medium Load Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Pine Valley, CA
    We have the cummins ISX and the 10 speed does.pretty well with the engine. EXCEPT when you have to start down shifting when you climb. My last company had 13spd and I ran 11 western. I really liked the 13. These truck here would run awesome with a 13

8. hellpatrol

Apr 22, 2013
    It sucks about how the industry is moving to 10 speeds and even autos. I know my boss wants to get 10 speeds because of the clowns that are out there don't know how to shift. It's a matter of personal pride when I float the gears smoothly and get up to speed with a minimum of fuss.

9. EzT

EzT Bobtail Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Toledo, ohio
    Hey thanks for posting this, it's been a lot of help. I'm looking at Melton for my first driving job. I was wondering about the physical they give you, I already have my 2yr DOT card. But I was wondering what they make you do as far as a physical. My blood pressure is a bit high and I'm over weight.

10. bnrobot

bnrobot Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2014
    So. CA
    they just have you lift the tarps, 3 diff ones i believe they weigh different, highest one is 90 lbs i think. dont have to lift over your head or anything like that. had me balance on one foot...easy stuff nothing too crazy. they do have a doc check you out, bp and all that but its quick as well. may be different at other terminals but this was at tulsa.

havent updated this, but you can follow along is the 'whats your 20' thread as i post in there almost nightly where im goin how many miles each load was etc. but you get the idea.

EzT Thanks this.
  11. mparks90

mparks90 Light Load Member

May 30, 2014
    I have higher blood pressure, and I was fine! Doc said many people have high blood pressure when they drink a cup of coffee at te hotel before class...I didn't drink coffee, but I went with it!

EzT Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.