OTR driver doing local runs?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by blackcoal, Dec 18, 2015.

1. blackcoal

blackcoal Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2015
    Goshen, IN
    Okay my question is regarding how to do local driving in my standard otr log book. I pull an end dump and quite often I'm hauling grain/Ag products or rock and stone with in a 100mile radius from home. Say I may run 3 days over the road 500 mile trips..... then I will run the next 3 day local.... Within a 100 miles.

My question is in my log book can I just write the days I'm local as "on duty hours"? No driving hours or locations, as I would do when I'm running over the road?

If this is possible I assume I would still be limited to 60hour week and then my 14 hour day and then 10 off.which I always take in the bunk vs going home even when running local.

Is this legal to log like this with out logging miles and location? Just hours of working or am I just dreaming here?

This would gain me a few hours driving.... As most local end dump work I'm doing, im loaded in 5 mins and can dump off the load in 5 mins, not sitting waiting on shippers and receivers, and could be driving the full 14 hours instead of 11.

Also I have been told I can do something along the lines of this using the "Ag exemption" within a 150 mile radius. Anyone familiar with this?
    Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

I run a dry box local requiring a log book. and help the other side of the company with triaxle doing local work, and I was told to log it all driving as I'm not at customers long enough to log on duty not driving. Same boat as you. As you can see I showed time and location of starting, location of first loading site, then 30 minute break and finally pti at end of day.

Honestly, I think it would suffice. I could have flagged locations and times I guess. But really, 2 minutes on duty... Not worth it. image.jpg

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  4. HillClimber

HillClimber Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    log it the same as you would if you were driving otr.

when driving, log it as driving
    when loading, fueling, inspecting, etc, log it as on duty
    when off duty or in the sleeper, log it accordingly.

I drive local intermodal and all of us (at least at my co) are logging it the same as if we were OTR.

edit: to the guy above me, where and why are you on duty for only 2 minutes?
    you still should be inspecting your equipment at each stop.

do it right fella's. it can save your ### in the end.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    Reason for edit: new info
  5. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    If you are not remaining in the same city or county while driving , then you log it the same way as if you're over the road...no difference.

6. Blackshack46

Your right. I could show two hours for that day inspecting. 4 loads, 4 unloads, 8 logged inspections every 45 minutes.

7. HillClimber

Aug 8, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    that is how it should be done, i run that many loads daily, no problems here. if doing the job right is hurting your wallet, move on to something that doesnt. if you want to break the rules, break them all while you are at it. inspecting your equipment is not only law, but it really benefits you in the long run, it really does. but you knew that already.

8. Blackshack46

Nope. Didn't know inspecting anything was crucial to the job. You have to remember I just popped outta my momma the day before yesterday. That was literally my second log book entry.

Can you show me the regulation number that says I have to log a vehicle inspection every time I stop? Just wondering if you can provide a source to your claim.

9. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Local work only allows a 12 hour work day, NOT 14. Once you exceed 12 hours, you need a RODS, not just a record of hours worked.

You also must start & stop at the same location...home 20, terminal, motel, etc...to be released from duty. If you're staying in the truck, you'll be hard pressed to prove your eligible to claim the exemption.

You must stay within the 100 air-mile radius. If you venture out past that 100th air mile at any point during the day, you must keep a RODS, not a record of hours worked.

Your employer must keep a record of your hours worked, same as they need to keep your RODS as a road driver.

You still can't drive more than 11 hours, and you're still required to take 10 hours off duty before your next shift. HOS regs are still in full effect...you just don't have to show every change in duty status IF you meet the requisites for the exemption.

The 100 air-mile radius exemption isn't an exemption from the HOS, only the RODS requirement. That being said, IF you qualify, you can log your entire day on line 4. However, if you're sleeping in your truck, you'd be better off filling out the RODS because an officer isn't likely going to believe you're a "local driver" if it appears as though you've been living in your truck...which at the very least will buy you a "failure to keep current" citation if you aren't placed OOS as well.

10. blackcoal

blackcoal Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2015
    Goshen, IN
    What I'm getting at is I don't want to log local stuff as I would for otr.
    I want to figure out the legal way to do it because from my reading of the rules it states local 100 mile radius just need to keep track of there time reporting and leaving work.

So to me that means I don't have to log it. It just seems kinda dumb for me to keep an "otr" log book and then just one off the "local" driver time log

I'm an O/O I have no one telling me what to do here I'm just trying to figure out if there is a legal way around logging local loads.

11. HillClimber

Aug 8, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    i think the local under 100 miles rule you posted only applies if that is what you do all week for your 70 hour period, but i could be wrong.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.