OTR driver doing local runs?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by blackcoal, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Just because the FMCSA inspector conducting your audit would like you to use a log book to keep a record of your hours worked while running local, that doesn't mean the rules apply differently to you while operating under the exemption than they do everyone else running local. Simple fact of the matter resides right in question #13 in the guidance:

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/title49/part/395?guidance

If you meet the requisites for claiming the exemption, you don't need to have a log book with you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. crzyjarmans

crzyjarmans Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Home
    That's right, if!! The driver never travels outside the 100 mile radius, not for drives that even on occasion travel farther and even outside of their state, at this point the rules are different

4. EZ4U2SAY

EZ4U2SAY Light Load Member

Nov 28, 2015
    The fact of the matter is if something were to happen, and that lawyer is asking you on the stand. Do you feel like 1 inspection is enough for the for the 3 or 4 trailers or chassis was enough to prevent this kind of incident from happining. Your answer would be yes. Without belittling anyone, the fact of the matter is you would be found incompetent and derelict in your duties. You have to cover your ### because noone else will. You need a pre on every thing you touch, and a post at the end of the day.

5. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    I typically venture outside of the 100 air-mile radius every other day. On the days I do, I have my log book with me. On the days I don't, it stays at home as there IS NO REQUIREMENT for a truck operating under the 100 air-mile exception to carry a log book or any other documentation concerning hours unless/until the driver becomes aware of the fact that he won't meet all of the requisites for the exception that day. When you qualify for the exception, you DO NOT need a log book. That's right there in the FMCSA. Doesn't matter if your employer wants you to keep a record of your hours worked in a log book or not, when you are working local, there is NO federal requirement to have it with you. Period. Says so right there on the FMCSA website in plain English.

6. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    I want to put a time clock right in my cab!

7. blackcoal

blackcoal Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2015
    Goshen, IN
    Thanks for the help everyone

8. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    I run out of the 100 mile radius most of the time but during the summer I will pull a belly dump. On those times I do still keep a log book. The simple reason is that it is a lot less hassle when inspected. I am on duty for the pretrip etc and on duty driving for the rest of the time. I just flag the stops but, if it is a bunch of short runs or in the same town I just note something like "Belly dump local" in the notation section. See up here, 30 miles out of town there may not be another town.

9. kckim10

kckim10 Bobtail Member

Mar 9, 2016

10. kckim10

kckim10 Bobtail Member

Mar 9, 2016
    I monitor logs for a regional trucking company. Some of our drivers drive local (within 100 miles) some days and OTR others. We've allowed them to record their local logs (under 12 hr. days) all on line 4, and an FMCSA auditor recently told us this was considered 'falsification'. I proposed having drivers record 11 of the 12 hour as driving & was told that is also technically falsification. I don't want to make a guy doing local work fill out a log that looks like a fine-toothed comb 3-4 days a week! I also don't want them filling out a time record because of the fact they are also doing OTR. It would be difficult to keep track of all the HOS rules for 20 guys. This is such a grey area & it makes me crazy!!! What are your views on this?

11. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

You can't please everyone. As the auditor understands the rules, the dot understands it differently and so do you. It's a grey area because it was written mid #### by some lawman who thinks his beer was made at the store. Hops were grown in the basement.

The rules do say though, if your staying in the same city, zip code, it can be logged line 4. Jump city to city driving 20 miles, should be logged driving. Unless your city didn't change?

Log it the best way you can possibly be legal. Once the elogs come in, we don't need the stinking grey area.

For the record,

I still proudly support the manufacturers of pens, rulers, and paper logs.

kckim10 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.