OTR/Regional with a daycab

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by DesiTrucker, Aug 1, 2015.

1. DesiTrucker

DesiTrucker Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Nj
    I was recently talking with a O/O and he said doing over the road with a daycab may get you a ticket by DOT.
    He said they will question and harasse you

How true is this?

Ougigoug Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    ########. There are thousands of daycabs running over the road every day. The only thing you need to worry about is where you sleep. It can not be in the truck. Heck I have slept on the deck of my trailer before. I am also looking to put a sleeping bag and maybe a cot or tent in the truck to save on hotel bills.

Now if you don't have these things and no hotel receipt then you may have an issue.

Caterpillar Cowboy Thanks this.
  4. Straight Stacks

Straight Stacks Paper Cha$er

Jul 18, 2015
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    Sylvester Stalone did it in Over The Top? What's the problem?

WCA64T SFA, Big_D409 and Pintlehook Thank this.
  5. DesiTrucker

DesiTrucker Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Nj
    But why should it be an issue of you sleep ins a daycab. Currently what I do is put my feet on peas anger seats and upper on driver seat and cooler/container between seats for torso area. I can always stop at a truck stop and take a shower there and freshen up

6. Straight Stacks

Straight Stacks Paper Cha$er

Jul 18, 2015
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    Because front seats aren't considered a Sleeper Berth.

Dinomite and heyns57 Thank this.
  7. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    It's really true. Show them the logbook and they will probably put u oos without proof of a hotel slip. Plus why do u want to do otr in a daycab? Clearly u don't have funds to even buy a proper truck

8. Caterpillar Cowboy

Caterpillar Cowboy Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Wyoming
    I always wondered if 'camping' in its varying forms as it could apply to truckers was an acceptable form for the DOT. Sounds like it's legit.

9. Ubu

Ubu Road Train Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Rumored to be somewhere
    They changed the rules a few years back (2013).

The rules no longer require the use of a sleeper birth for a solo driver to do his off-duty time in and they only say “A driver may not drive without first taking 10 consecutive hours off duty”, they no longer say that any time in a CMV other than the sleeper birth is on-duty.

See http://cerasis.com/2013/06/11/new-hours-of-service-rules/ for a summary.

Under the the “What are the new Hours of Service of Rules Changes?” section. The prior rule for "On-duty time" stated

The new rule change now says…..

Those are paraphrasing the actual rules, the actual rule for the statement for “not inducing time resting in a parked vehicle” is 395.2 at http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/title49/section/395.2 under the “On-duty time” section item 4 that says…
    So the sleeper birth provision only really applies to team drivers now as a solo driver’s truck could not possibly be “moving on the highway” while he is resting (unless he forgot to set the barking brake :eek:).

Lots of hot shot drivers running 1 tons take advantage of this change now and it put most of the companies that were making sleeper conversions for 1 tons out of business. As long a the vehicle is not moving you do not need to sleep in a birth that complies with section 393.76.

montrose818, brian991219 and SL3406 Thank this.
  10. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL
    I've done it. Never stayed out more than 4 days though. Ran into to a lot of other tanker yankers that did the same, at hotels

DesiTrucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.