OTR vs Oil Field Work

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by theurge, Jan 11, 2013.

1. critters

critters <b>Late For Dinner</b>

Jul 16, 2011
    traverse city,MI
    the money will come with time and experience, why work 12-14 hrs days for that money? work smarter not harder.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    Ben is that gross or net? You need a year experience, does it all have to be otr? Or go to Chicago more options, would have to Indiana easier to trade cdls, than Illinois.

4. Flat

Flat Bobtail Member

Jan 12, 2013
    You need a year experience for what? To work in the oil fields? If that is what you are saying then I say you are completely wrong. The only question is do you want to spend your time driving or working? Either way you need your Class A CDL with endorsements. Don't do drugs and not drinking is even better. Have a pulse and you have a job. I have zero experience and have turned two jobs down because I want more money. The OTR recuiters tell you that you need one year and that is a bold faced lie. Some companies want one year or even two. But there are lots of companies that will take you green. In two years there is no way I will work for the money they are offering for two years of OTR. Why because I don't mind work and really like to get dirty. You want to drop and hook go ahead but I want to go make some money and I will work for it. Most likely I will turn down the tanker job I will be offered this week and go work on a frac crew. But I have not made up my mind. No OTR at all, zero CDL experience and I have options. I never ever listen to anyone that tells me what I can't do. I was just a highschool dropout, homeless disabled veteran living in a cow pasture that had oil wells. I told people I would go to law school. They laughed at me. I now have two college degrees and I made it to law school. I did not finish law school but I got in with a scholarship. I WILL NEVER EVER LET ANYONE TELL ME WHAT I CAN OR CAN'T DO!!! Those stupid OTR recruiters lie like skunks stink. Do what you want to do and do not even listen to an OTR recruiter unless you want to do OTR. Nothing wrong with it if that is what you want to do. Just make up your own mind.

Lepton1 and theurge Thank this.
  5. Longknocker

Longknocker Light Load Member

Dec 12, 2011
    williston,ND
  6. NDBADLANDS

NDBADLANDS Medium Load Member

May 8, 2010
    ND
    If it was easy.....everyone would do it.

7. TLeaHeart

TLeaHeart Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    I did OTR for 5 years. Divorced, kids grown. Was tired of living on the road. I now haul crude oil in Wyoming. Home everyday. work 12 hour shifts. Throwing iron is required part of the job. Depending on the loads for the shift, I gross $360 for a 2 load shift, and am home in 9 hours, or 3 loads gross $540 a day. Working outside in the wind, snow and dirt. Then drive for about an hour, and load, or unload.

Company I work for requires 3 years of experience, all driving experience is considered. Must have hazmat, and doubles endorsement.

NDBADLANDS Thanks this.
  8. Flat

Flat Bobtail Member

Jan 12, 2013
    I went to an interview today. While I was waiting they got a call that they had just lost another customer because they did not have enough drivers. In the interview they said they liked experience but they were losing money every day. They told me to call them the day my hazmat comes back. If they have a truck sitting I will be in it. I won't say what company until my rear end is in a seat. Now they haul lots of things but it would be great if my first load is hazmat just for all the people saying you can't haul hazmat without experience. Of course they will have something snotty to say.

9. shovel98

shovel98 Light Load Member

Jan 15, 2011
    mn
    I worked out of newtown nd in 2011. To hard on equipment out there everything costs more i hauled drill cuttings and scoria rock. Some of the trucks i seen out there looked like they sat in someones back forty for twenty years and it fired up and they took it out there. And it seems some of the worst drivers go out there alot didnt even have cdls. Old saying loaded truck has right away means nothing out there. Take a drive on bia12 and u will see what i mean. used to drive down the roads looking for parts that broke off trucks to see if was something good. lol. I own two trucks one i setup for out there an 05 classic and one for otr an 03 w9. I make easier money otr. (i.e.) my weekly avg out there was 6500. sometimes 8000 after fuel depending on week. I worked 110 hours some weeks. and otr i pull in 4700 to 5000. after fuel sure i run more miles now. And acually have a life. And the oil companies arent noted for fast paying. but spend way LESS in truck repairs, and tires might last one year scoria tears them up bad cuts them to the cords. And did i mention that everything out there costs more (EVERYTHING) And the dust gets so thick u cant see the front of your own hood at times make sure the a/c works. sliding down a wet scoria road loaded up at 92tho aint for the faint of heart. altho sitting on a pad site with the burner going on a fall or winter night i do miss.

10. 8x8

8x8 Light Load Member

Jun 3, 2007
    It's so hard to get started now, I've been here ND / east MT oilfield since 09, " if you can get your foot in the door " $$$ is no comparison Crude hauling or myself Heavy Haul - Rig Moving I can earn $3750 week if I can get 80hrs, when we are busy, but it's slowed down since Jan 2012, but should start to improve when the companies get there 2013 budgets / sort out types of rigs for multi hole pads.
    most companies now want 2 yrs offroad winter driving experience. You can spot a newbie highway driver miles away when we have ice & snow, the accidents have made everyone concern about lack of experience, 3 yrs ago they would hire almost anyone.

11. trku

trku Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2013
    From the looks of the pic on your reply, you have life figured out. Hunting from your hot tub while drinking a beer? I imagine there's probably a lady underwater too, right? You, sir, are my hero!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.