OTR vs Oil Field Work

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by theurge, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    @oft driver - Anyone that can tough it out in the oil fields won't have any problem doing OTR. It's a different world and the pay probably not what you're used to, but it's ok.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Depending on where you live and the lanes you're near you might not have to go otr. I enjoyed OTR minus chaining up, but the money is no where close to oilfield wages. I was home daily and making over 80k a year hauling frac tanks and pulling around 120barrel tankers in North Texas. Same company is still open, but the drivers only get 40hrs and the pay was cut by 6$/hr. Benefit to otr is that you'll never find yourself knee deep in mud hooking up the bulldozer's winch cable so he can drag you out, or having a panic attack any time you see a DOT officer with portable scales :)

4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Where will your domicile be after leaving the oil fields; city/state?

5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Check FFE (Frozen Food Express) or Western Dairy Transport; both have cdl training and a job in Texas.

6. oft driver

oft driver Bobtail Member

May 2, 2016
    Went from making 85k to 50k in a little over a year but somehow the wife is still able to pay bills. Money ain't everything happiness matters more. Job security is an even second. I've taken frac pumps and tankers all over west Texas. I'm thinking bout letting my hazmat go still have my tanker. Any advice on where would be a decent place to start?

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Coastal Transport
    Groendyke Transport
    Freymiller
    Abilene Motor Express
    Western Dairy Transport

Do the online applications then follow with a phone call. This way they can pull up your application when you do call and it will save time during the conversation.
    All the above companies hire in your area.

8. oft driver

May 2, 2016
    got laid off and had to take a job I never thought I would work for. The equipment aint up to par but it's still safe. DOT, them rat ########, have been crawling around like ticks on a barn dog. I can relate to being scared sober to seeing a federali in the side mirrors.

9. oft driver

May 2, 2016
    I tried western dairy and I'm 45 miles outside their area. Mother n law lives in the area might use her address. Got experience in tanker for sure just curious is reefer a good bet??

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I did reefers most of my career and made a good living. Abilene is dry box & reefer, just depends on what load you're dispatched on.
    Freymiller is all reefers and a good outfit.
    FFE (Frozen Food Express) is Texas based.
    Most posts on here about Abilene and Freymiller are positive; few if any negative posts and if there are any it's just minor stuff.

11. oft driver

May 2, 2016
    Hey man I appreciate it. I'll research FFE freymiller that way I can be edumacated. Again thank you sir

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.