OTR with the Carolina Kid

Discussion in 'Millis' started by gilleyaffliction21, Jun 30, 2011.

1. gilleyaffliction21

gilleyaffliction21 Light Load Member

Feb 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Yea, I was scracthin my head to bout the broker load, but it got me out the house so no compaints here, lo

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gilleyaffliction21

Feb 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Well, this week has been pretty simple. Picked up Tuesday at Bud in Baldwinsville, NY that was a two stopper going to Atlanta Beverage and then down to Valdosta, GA. Delivered both of these Thursday then got a load picking up in Albany, Ga thursday evening going to Miller in Milwaukee, WI. Met up with a buddy I went to MTI with in Glendale, KY at the PETRO, and me and him ran up 65 and across 294 together. Always nice running with someone, seems like the day just flys by. Got to Miller and was told to drop it at the West Alllis yard, so did that, then got a load out of there that was going to Superior Beverage in Glen Willow, OH for monday am delivery. Ran with my trainer across 80 today, and seems like he just cant help but tell a embarrising trainer story about me in a truckstop, but its all good. Ive got plenty on him also, lol. Qualicomm says we can overnight park on side streets or street across from customer. Well im on the street across from the customer and they do have a couple no parking signs on it, but im here for my 10 till somebody runs me off. Being that this road leads to nowhere I really dont see it being a problem. Hope everyone had a good week!

4. Baritone

Baritone Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    You're good there! Slept there several times!

5. db2681

db2681 Medium Load Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Dayton,OH
    I have been to the place in Glen Willow. The Ohio heavy haul/regional guys park there on the road. The one time I went up there I saw all the no parking signs, and saw a cop sitting in the lot next door so decided to go to the toll plaza up the road. Found out next day they only enforce the no parking during the day time, or if they catch people throwing trash/pee bottles on the ground.

6. gilleyaffliction21

Feb 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Well, this past week was definelty one of those weeks that show you just how undprecditable each day/week can be out here. Got unloaded without a hitch first thing monday morning over at Superior Beverage, from there got a load picking up at Cintas going to Cascades in Eau Claire. Get to Cintas and backed under my loaded trailer then went back and started to raise the landing gear. I tried and tried and couldnt get the thing to bulge, the handle felt like it was spring loaded. Then it hit me that whoever had dropped this trl before must have cranked the landing gear down all the way:biggrin_25513:, which is a nightmare when they put 45,000 lbs of paper back on it. Fast forward 30 minutes later and I finally get the thing to bulge, then as soon as the weight hits the cross shaft just breaks in half. I call premier care and bout a hour later the TA roadservice guys from Lodi show up. Well after 5 hours of working on it, the mecahanic tells me theres nothing he can do with it, that the right leg is so bound up on the trl that there going to have to cut it off. We get the ok from BRF, and he amputates my trailer. We throw all the stuff we cut off in the back because BRF wanted me to keep all the pieces which was about 200lbs of metal prolly. Had already told my dispatcher that we was going to have to reschedule appt for Eau Claire and he did for 1100 wednesday morning. Drug the handicapp trailer up to Eau Claire and got unloaded. Afterwards shot down to BRF to drop the trailer at the shop. From there get a nice load picking up at La Crosse, WI at City Brewary going to JJ Taylor down in Tampa, FL:biggrin_25519:. Get to La Crosse, WI at 3pm and didnt get the greenlight till 11:30pm. Parked there in there empty lot and caught some sleep then began my way south. Made great time heading down to Tampa, and made alot of time I lost with the trl mishap back up. Got unloaded in Tampa saturday morning then was told no loads availible. Went up to the Flying J there in San Antonio, FL and flirted with the cashier which resulted her in giving me some free chicken wings:biggrin_25523:. Got a load a couple of hours later picking up at Cedar Springs, GA that was to be dropped in Trenton. On the way to Cedar Springs run into a wicked thunderstorm on US 84. Was going 15mph at one point, and still couldnt see, so I just pulled off to the side and let it pass. Finally got to Shipper and they told me my trailer was at there drop lot. Being that ive been here before I know there drop lot is down a mile long, bumpy dirt road. I ask the person on the phone if i could even make it down there due to the weather and his reply was "I didnt try it in my pickup truck, but its up to you". So, i thru my differential lock on and made my way down there without a problem. Hooked up and eased my way out of there and began towards Trenton. On the way here noticed my right turn signal was out again, tried replaciing the bulb but then all my right side light quit working so im guessing I have a short. Got to Trenton about a hour ago and dropped then wrote my truck up for the short. Im 1500 miles away from a B service so Im hoping to get that knocked out to while im here. I know this is long, just hard to describe a week in one paragraph, lol. Hope everyone is having a good week mileage wise, and one safety wise

7. L.B.

L.B. Third Generation Truck Driver

Jul 23, 2007
    Middle GA
    I've been pretty pissed about all the high dropped trailers too. Had to have one picked up by a yard jockey last week it was so bad.

8. jeff1971

jeff1971 Light Load Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    gilley I have enjoyed reading the post. I enjoy reading the adventures of a fellow North Carolinian!! I am from Charlotte as you can see. Was hoping when you have time you can PM me? Thanks in advance!

9. MojoPotatoe

MojoPotatoe Medium Load Member

Aug 31, 2011
    Fremont,Indiana
    OK, so I have my 2x4's. Now I just have to figure out how to use them?:biggrin_2552:

10. L.B.

L.B. Third Generation Truck Driver

Jul 23, 2007
    Middle GA
    It's really simple. Dump your air bags, back up the trailer and see if the 2x4 will fit between the 5th wheel and edge of the trailer. Don't back all the way under it. Get the 2x4 in between the trailer and 5th wheel then reinflate your air bags. That should take enough weight off the landing gear to crank the legs up a few turns. Then dump and pull out, reinflate without the wood and hook as normal.

curtiscurse Thanks this.
  11. MojoPotatoe

MojoPotatoe Medium Load Member

Aug 31, 2011
    Fremont,Indiana
    "BLING" The light bulb just went on. Thanks LB, much appreciated.:biggrin_25514:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.