OTR with the Carolina Kid

Discussion in 'Millis' started by gilleyaffliction21, Jun 30, 2011.

1. gilleyaffliction21

gilleyaffliction21 Light Load Member

Feb 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Wats everybody, hope everyone is running good. Came off hometime last week after I watched the 24 hours of the Daytona 500, lol, and had a load going to Superior Beverage in Columbus, OH. From there picked up in Columbus, OH with a load going to Kernisville, NC. Stopped at the Pilot there on US 23 and noticed I had a pretty bad coolant leak. Let the shop know, and they told me just to keep adding coolant rather than take it to Trenton. Asked me to get it looked at in Eden?? Wasnt aware of us having a shop there, but did what they told me. The following day I pull in the Beckley Service Plaza for my usual break, and noticed smoke coming from under my hood. Sure enough the coolant leak was getting worst. Sent message to shop about the progressing problem and asked if I could get the diesal mechanic that hangs around there to fix it, and they said just keep adding coolant in it and get it checked in Eden. Told them 10-4, and dumped all the coolant I had left in it. I get 15 miles down the road while climbing a mtn in Virginia and smoke just starts pouring out my truck, like it had blown up. I get it to Whythville, and sure enough we pull it in and take a look and my top radiator hose had a 1 inch hole in it where it burst. Got that fixed in like a hour, then Im told I have to drop in Eden now because K'ville had rescheduled appt. Get to Eden and grab my new load going to Allenwood, NJ. Deliver that no problems, and then get a load picking up in Wilmington, Del at Herman's Whse. The place was a blind side, angled dock back off the street, but somehow I got it in there, pure luck in my opnion. Once loaded dropped that down in Cville, and then went to Owen's and picked up my weekend load going back to Eden. Got it there Sunday around 5pm, and this morning got this load thats going to Binghampton, NY. While running up 81 today around Carlisle noticed my truck started sputtering a bit. I run on up 81 and when I got into the big hills it was obvious that my fuel filter was about to go. It finally got to the point where I was at the start of a hill and already in 7th gear. The engine was sounding flat and I thought there was no way I would make it to the Petro, so I pull over and called premier care because Im not a big fan sputtering up a hill on the verge of stalling out with trucks running up on you at 65mph. I do the whole macro 60 deal, then I get a message asking me can I drive it 35 miles up to the Petro. Told them I didnt really feel safe doing so as it felt like the truck was bout to cut off, and had absolutely no pulling power and you need that with a 78k load. They message me back to cancel macro 60 and drive to the PETRO!! Says cut the truck off and the sediments from the filter "Should" go away and I could make it. Told them again I didnt feel comfortable with that decision and felt like that paying the roadservice call was more important than driver safety. Netherless, I tried it and I got here. Many you know I tried to get my B service done last week and they told me I had to wait because I wasnt in there 500 mile window, well since then I havent seen a shop, and Ive let my dispatcher know I was due. The shop messages me and tells me its my responsbility to get the B Service done on time. I told them I tried, but yall refused to do it, and they sent back its still my responsbility??? Not sure what I coulda done different, but regardless its over now. S*** happens I guess, and lets just say me and the shop dont see eye to eye right now. Sorry this is so long, but had alot to cover. Hope everyones doing aight. BTW, almost forgot, I dont know how he spells it, but met dipschitt at Cartersville the other night. Was a pleasure meeting you man, and what a honor it was to eat beside Shaft himself, haha

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Shaft indeed..... and most of the women in that place looked like some of his 'ladies'......hehehehe
    Good to see you're runnin' hard, brother...... me too. 1 week down, 5 or so left to go.

4. gilleyaffliction21

Feb 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Well another week is in the books. Delieverd load to Binghamton, NY Monday and got sent a load from there picking up at Lexington Whse in Rochester, NY. First time going there and the place is pretty cool, you actually drive in the building, dock your trailer, then bobtail out. Something different so in my book its aight. As soon as I bobtailed out I did my trip planning, which took me about 10-15 minutes, and then they called me saying I was loaded. Hooked back up and starting heading south to United Dist. in Smyrna, GA. Got down to Smyrna, GA and unloaded Thursday morning, then drove up to Cville to get my B-Service completed. While in C'ville got to chat with Bear, Baritone, and Greg for a bit. Always fun talking to them guys. They pulled my truck in the shop first thing Friday morning and had it out around 1pm. Was 6 hours away from a restart so asked dispatch did he have anything I could pick up that night or early am so I could have a fresh clock for this week. He sent me a load picking up at Owen's in Atl going to West Allis, WI. While finishing up my restart got to get a bite to eat with Whitey and chatted with him for a bit. We both were in a race to see who was going to pay, but whitey beat me to it. It's on me next time man, lol. Picked up the Owen's load and dropped it in the West Allis yard this morning. Hit ready, and got a load out of Richfield going to Spring Green, WI for monday mornin. Just relaxed for the rest of the day and watched the race. I'll be back at it in the am for another week. Hope everyone had a good week, and be safe

ricrey99 Thanks this.
  5. gilleyaffliction21

Feb 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Wats goin on everybody, just thought I'd give a little update since I havent in a while. Been running pretty good recently, and bout a month ago got put in a T7. Took a bit to get use to the shiften, but now that im use to it I really like the truck, specially the fridge. Actually the night before I got to move in to the new truck got to chat with Bear and Dipshitt a lil up in BRF, then shortly after that ran into Baritone in Eau Claire on a Sunday that had Millis trucks everywhere waiting on loads, lol. Preciate you buying dinner man, next time its on me. As far as this week goes Delivered in Indy tuesday mornin and then picked up at Rock-Tenn in Indy. Took that down to Cherokee, AL and from there was sent to Byhalia, MS to pick up some A/C's going to Plymouth, MN. Delivered that early Friday morning and was sent to Eau Claire for a Menards load going to store in Janesville. Got that delivered on same day then headed to Richfield to pick up my wknd load going to Lynchburg, VA. Been able to chat with a couple of trainers here and there and have heard alot of stories of guys quitting just a few weeks in training. For you guys in school, dont let one or two bad times during your training turn you away from the industry. I myself have become really frustrated at times but have come to understand your just going to have some bad days in any job you have, and this job is no different. The only difference is in other jobs you get to go home and forget about it, where out here theres no going home just back to work. Hope everyone is doing well and getting nice miles.

6. db2681

db2681 Medium Load Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Dayton,OH
    Yeah, if you aren't getting along with your trainer ask for a new one. They will swap you out. There is no personality test to see if you will get along with your trainer or not.

7. Baritone

Baritone Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    Very good point - you DO NOT have to put up with crap. This is "trucking" - it's not glamorous!

8. gilleyaffliction21

Feb 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Wats up everybody, just thought Id give a update since its been awhile. Well after going back and forth on trying regional finally decided to give it a shot. Was able to get up to BRF and pick up one of the new regional Freightliners. I really like the truck so far, and have gotten pretty use to it. I started regional out of Eden last Monday, and have learned that regional is all about your 14. For the most part last week, I would run beer down to SC, then get a backhaul out of Greenville, SC, that delivered at one of the Bud dist. in NC. I also ran up to Elkton, VA once and had two loads I took up to the paper mill in Big Island, VA. The only bad part to my week was four different times I sit in docks 3+ hours waiting to get unloaded/loaded. Had one delivery up to Winston, got there right at my appt which was 0530 and didnt leave till 10ish something. Got to meet and talk to Boomer a couple of times this week, as we kept crossing paths. Going to start back up early tomm morning as I have a load going down to Anderson, SC. Hope everybody has a good week and be safe!

Boomer 1 Thanks this.
  9. L.B.

L.B. Third Generation Truck Driver

Jul 23, 2007
    Middle GA
    It's definitely all about your 14. I'll bet one of those waits was at UTI. I hate that place!

10. Boomer 1

Boomer 1 Medium Load Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Central, NC
    Great talking with you to! Heading to Big Island in the morning, see ya if your going that way. Stay away from Winston LOL!!!!!! P.S. Imeant to reply to gilley

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  11. gilleyaffliction21

Feb 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Actually picked up there today and was there about 2 hours, yea last week that place accounted for two of the times I sit 3+ hours in the dock

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.